Skip to main content

Recent Thrifty Finds

WARNING: LONG POST :)
I found two wonderful items Sunday at the consignment shop.  This lamp was only $9.99.  I knew immediately that it would look good in the powder room.  


The urn in the picture is similar to the base of the lamp which looks like an urn. 

Cute, Huh?
I like the shape of the shade.


Another item I found is unusual.  I have never seen one, so at $4.99, I decided I would buy it.


It's an egg holder made from wire.  Isn't it pretty?  I placed tea lights in it instead.

It would be pretty holding eggs, but I like it with the tea lights. 

 I love the texture it brings to the tray vignette on the breakfast table.


Have you ever seen an egg holder like this?


A couple of weeks ago, I went to a community yard sale held in a large pavilion at the fair grounds.  I bought several items there and only spent $3.50.
I bought an empty picture frame that was already painted hunter green.  I used some of my home made chalk paint and lightened it up.
Here it is painted and distressed and with a little dark wax.



At first I was just going to use it as a back drop on the living room bookcases.  Then I had this idea!




I had chicken wire left from another project so I stapled some on the back of the frame, then used clothes pins to attach pictures of my family to it.



Later, I added the burlap bow.




I love having it in my office.  Total cost ( already had everything but the frame) $1.00


  
 A full roll of lace, (like on the cherub above) and the cherub (which also got a coat of chalk paint) were other items along with the frame that I bought for  a total of $2.50.


Then at another vendor's site, I purchased these for fifty cents each.
The necklace the pink cupid is wearing, and the earrings (new, still on the card), costume jewelry, but for fifty cents each, who cares?





On the day that I found the blue picnic basket, I also found this wooden box at an antique mall.




El Pinto is a brand of Salsa.  Isn't this a cute box?  This is in its original condition.  The yellow color was already on the wood.  I think I paid about five dollars for it.  


Here's another photo of the basket I found on the same day.


Oh, we can't forget the turquoise quail.



I think I've had good luck recently.  I have easily worked all my finds into the decor, so I'm happy. :)  All these items total about forty dollars!!


Hope you are finding some wonderful items too!


I am linking to:
 Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
Transformation Thursday at ShabbyCreek Cottage 
Share Your Creations at Kristen's Creations
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove 
Frugal Friday at Shabby Nest
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Flaunt it Friday at Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

Comments

  1. Love the lamp Kathy, it looks a treat where you have placed it :o) The wirework egg holder is very unusual, and looks great as a tealight holder. What a good use for the frame, to look at and appreciate each day!
    There are so many things the El Pinto box can be used for - VERY versatile...a good haul, congratulations :o))
    Rose H
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The laces, the egg holder, that cool shade and the box? You are just raking it in. I love that you put everything right to use so beautifully! The frame that you made into a picture holder is really sweet. You have been so creatively busy. Good work!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your wire egg holder-turned tea light holder is a really cool find. I like it a lot!

    Jennifer
    http://decoratedchaos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really have found some great items. The lamp goes perfectly and I love the wire egg holder. I have never seen one like that either. Your wooden box and picnic basket are cute also. Your turquoise quail is similar to a green game hen I bought on clearance at T.J. Maxx. Thanks for sharing your finds with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  5. You found some great tresures! I love the egg holder. i have never seen one like it. I would have snatched that up as well. And using the tealights in it perfect! Thank you for sharing this with us last week at TTF. I hope you are having a terrific week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great finds!!! I am hosting a Giveaway to win a 50 dollar gift card to the store HomeGoods. It would be great if you stopped by and entered. Thanks Anu

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and feedback. Be sure to leave a comment so I know you visited, and I will visit you and leave you a comment in return! Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Linens & Things

I love finding tablecloths, runners, napkins, and other linens when I am out thrifting. Whether it be at consignment shops, GW, or yard sales, I will usually snap up a pretty linen if it doesn't have a lot of stains.  I will show you some of my favorites. I found several pieces embroideried with this design at a favorite consignment shop. This blue runner (reversible to stripes), found on consignment. This is one of the nicer quality tablecloths I have found, $4.00 at a thrift store. This cloth was around $10.00 on consignment. This runner is also reversible to polka dots, and was a consignment find. This pink and white gingham is perfect in the sun room, and is a consignment find also. This is the most valuable table cloth I have found, and it was $2.00 at a nearby yard sale.  It is a vintage Wielunder.  They sell on ebay for 30 - 90 dollars.  Mine is in pristine condition! Christmas tablecloth, consignment sale.   Consignmen

Trash to Treasure

We had noticed this "jar" sitting near a trash pile, and my husband decided to see what it was.  It was full of dirt, and covered in grime.  After soaking it a while, it looked much better. The shape and color is very nice. At first I thought it might be a globe for a lamp or some type of candle holder. The bottom has an opening, and no markings. Do you know what it might be? This is how I'm using it. It's made of thick bubbled glass. Any guesses?? Know what this was in its former life?   It makes a wonderful vase for faux flowers! It's a vintage fly /wasp trap!!   Once yucky, now pretty!!! Joining: Wow Us Wednesday Home and Garden Thursday Share Your Cup Thursday Thursday Favorite Things   Feathered Nest Friday Be Inspired Frugal Friday @  Shabby Nest Home Sweet Home @  The Charm of Home Thrifty Things Friday @   The Thrifty Groove Junk Party @ Funky Junk Interiors

What's in the Hutch?

Yesterday I awoke in the mood to do some "deep" cleaning.  First on my list was to dust inside the china cabinet in the dining room.  Can you believe how much dust can get into a closed cabinet.  Really, how does that happen?  My cabinet has glass shelves and they were hazy with dust.  This is a rather tedious job because I not only have china inside, I have all kinds of little "pretties" stored there too.  It's one of the first things you see upon entry into our home, so I really should do this more often.  I want show you the before, sufficeth to say, it had been a while since I had tackled this chore.  Here are some photos showing the "after". Here is a collection of vases and crystal pitchers .   These were all gifts except the smallest one in the front and the one to the right of it. China and a consignment shop cake plate.  The china was formerly my MILs. More china . This little fairy lives here with her 2 sisters. They can all be seen