Skip to main content

Yard Sale Items Get Makeover

This morning I had a few errands to do, so I stopped in at a yard sale being held to benefit the children of Nicaragua.  It was quite a good sale, and I came away with a few things.

 Basket, $.25, garden tool, $1, and mitre box, $1, so I spent $2.25.


I like the markings on the mitre box and thought about leaving it the way I found it, but my love of white paint got the best of me.

I taped off the markings and sprayed a very light coat of white paint over it -- only one coat.  The wind was blowing, so I didn't really try for complete coverage.  I used a jagged piece of masking tape to cover the markings and like the way it turned out.  Once it dried, I brought it into the basement and sanded it off, and hit it lightly with Annie Sloan Dark Wax.  I like the way it looks on my mantel.


 I switched out the picture I had as a backdrop on the mantel, to this half moon one found last year at a consignment shop.  I placed my little dollar tree birds atop the mitre box, added the bunnies, and white and green orbs which originally were brown, purple and green.
So they got a coat of white paint, then I painted some of the leaves green.
 The garden tool got a light coat of left over turquoise spray paint which was sanded to remove the gloss.  I love the rust on this piece.
I gave it a home in my little box I revamped last Saturday.

 The basket also received a coat of white spray paint and found a new home in the dining room.

 I placed some of the items that were on the side cabinet inside the basket, added the silver dish, and raised one of the candlesticks by using books for a new vignette.

 This silver dish was a gift from my daughter.  I just love it!

 Have you visited any yard sales this Spring?  They're just beginning here.  I plan to have one myself, but it will be a few weeks.

What have you found to change up your decor?  There's nothing like decorating on a dime!

I'll be linking to the following parties: 
Saturday Night Special at Funky Junky Interiors,
Met Monday at Between Naps on the Porch,
Show Off Your Cottage Monday at House in the Roses
Tuesday at Cozy Home Scenes,
Table Top Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life

 White Wednesday at Faded Charm
Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesday
Strut Your Stuff Thursday at Somewhat Simple
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home 
Vintage Inspiration at Common Ground 
2805 Potpourri Friday at 2805 

Please drop in at these wonderful parties!
Thanks so much for hosting ladies!

Comments

  1. You didn't waste any time! I need to be more like you. :)
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome makeovers. I passed on the yard sales this week,just was not in the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great finds, I can't wait for yard sales to start up here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your re-purposed mitre box. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely the new pioneer spirit at work here my friend!! Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! I love it all, I never would have thought to use a mitre box, what a great idea! I'm now a follower, and I'm pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW- you really scored on some awesome treasures! I love your mitre box, it is the perfect size and height for putting together nifty vignettes!

    I love the way you put everything together.

    Thank you so much for stopping by, and for your sweet comments!

    Happy spring, and hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got a great eye! Love what you did with the garden tool handle. Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Who would have thought to do all of this to these things? You did! I'm so amazed at all you've done! Love it!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute redo on the miter box! I love all of the treasures you got for so little money. Great job!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are very talented, I love the way everything came together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the way you redid the miter box! Everything looks great together! Like the paint choices you made on the tool and the basket. Can't wait till yard sales get going here! Thanks for visiting!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE what you did with the box!! I wish I had talent like that! I need to find some good yard sales....
    -april

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I'm loving what you did with the box, I just don't have the talent to come up with vignettes like this, I always tell Marty the same thing! Great yard sales. I love the silver bowl your daughter gifted you, it's so pretty.
    Wishing you a happy week.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome make-overs! You have displayed them all so beautifully. I love the miter box!! Hope you have a wonderful day, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great makeovers, I love what you did! That basket is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for showing these good finds at the party. I really like what you did with the miter box. I would not have seen the beauty in it but you did. Have a great day!------- Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh how fun. I love them with the whitewash and you have created such lovely vignettes with them. Very clever. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the way you put everthing together!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job on the mitre box. You found some neat items and made them better!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful vignettes. I love the mitre box transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You did good. Love it when you upcycle trash to treasures and make them into a beautiful creations. Have you officially retired yet?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love all your great finds. The mitre box is amazing! But the silver dish gift made my heart go pitter pat!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  24. thanks for coming by. I was having issues with the video but think it's fixed now. Stop by again for a peak :) Steve sounds so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks great. I am looking forward to seeing you at My Dream Canvas. Visiting you from Wow Us Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful transformations! It is always wonderful when a project turns out so well! :)
    Jennelise

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and feedback. Be sure to leave a comment so I know you visited, and I will visit you and leave you a comment in return! Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Linens & Things

I love finding tablecloths, runners, napkins, and other linens when I am out thrifting. Whether it be at consignment shops, GW, or yard sales, I will usually snap up a pretty linen if it doesn't have a lot of stains.  I will show you some of my favorites. I found several pieces embroideried with this design at a favorite consignment shop. This blue runner (reversible to stripes), found on consignment. This is one of the nicer quality tablecloths I have found, $4.00 at a thrift store. This cloth was around $10.00 on consignment. This runner is also reversible to polka dots, and was a consignment find. This pink and white gingham is perfect in the sun room, and is a consignment find also. This is the most valuable table cloth I have found, and it was $2.00 at a nearby yard sale.  It is a vintage Wielunder.  They sell on ebay for 30 - 90 dollars.  Mine is in pristine condition! Christmas tablecloth, consignment sale.   Consignmen

Trash to Treasure

We had noticed this "jar" sitting near a trash pile, and my husband decided to see what it was.  It was full of dirt, and covered in grime.  After soaking it a while, it looked much better. The shape and color is very nice. At first I thought it might be a globe for a lamp or some type of candle holder. The bottom has an opening, and no markings. Do you know what it might be? This is how I'm using it. It's made of thick bubbled glass. Any guesses?? Know what this was in its former life?   It makes a wonderful vase for faux flowers! It's a vintage fly /wasp trap!!   Once yucky, now pretty!!! Joining: Wow Us Wednesday Home and Garden Thursday Share Your Cup Thursday Thursday Favorite Things   Feathered Nest Friday Be Inspired Frugal Friday @  Shabby Nest Home Sweet Home @  The Charm of Home Thrifty Things Friday @   The Thrifty Groove Junk Party @ Funky Junk Interiors

What's in the Hutch?

Yesterday I awoke in the mood to do some "deep" cleaning.  First on my list was to dust inside the china cabinet in the dining room.  Can you believe how much dust can get into a closed cabinet.  Really, how does that happen?  My cabinet has glass shelves and they were hazy with dust.  This is a rather tedious job because I not only have china inside, I have all kinds of little "pretties" stored there too.  It's one of the first things you see upon entry into our home, so I really should do this more often.  I want show you the before, sufficeth to say, it had been a while since I had tackled this chore.  Here are some photos showing the "after". Here is a collection of vases and crystal pitchers .   These were all gifts except the smallest one in the front and the one to the right of it. China and a consignment shop cake plate.  The china was formerly my MILs. More china . This little fairy lives here with her 2 sisters. They can all be seen