Skip to main content

Still Painting

When I bought the hall tree, I said I'd never change the color.  Wrong!!  But I've waited at least a couple of years, so that is amazing for me!!

Here is the before with the original color, a smoky bluish gray:


Now, you see my favorite color when you walk in the door.


I achieved this look by rubbing vaseline on the areas that were already distressed, and that kept the new paint from adhering to those places.  The color is actually a fifty cents small bottle of Acrylic craft paint, mixed with Waverly white chalk paint.  

At first, I had too much water in the mixture of the blue, white chalk paint, plaster of paris and water, and the color barely showed up.  It looked like watered down white.  Not what I wanted.  So I poured the mixture out, and dried my bowl I was painting from and used the technique like I did on the green chest in my bedroom.  Just dabbing in white and the blue, and just using light strokes going all directions, and it turned out, the way I wanted it.


 Please excuse my unedited pictures.  Pic Monkey isn't working well for me.  If you have a suggestion for a good editing program, I'd like to know.



 The arrangement above was on the lower shelf, so I moved it to the top of the table, and added green to the arrangement.

This photo shows how well the vaseline worked. Once I was through painting, I took a soft white cloth and rubbed off the vaseline, leaving the original distressing.
I really like it with the new color.

When I get tired of aqua, I'll just paint it again!  This was a really fun project to do, I probably worked on this for an hour or a little more, and used leftover paints, so zero cost for this makeover.

Linking to these:
Tuesdays at our home @ Our home away from home
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linens & Things

I love finding tablecloths, runners, napkins, and other linens when I am out thrifting. Whether it be at consignment shops, GW, or yard sales, I will usually snap up a pretty linen if it doesn't have a lot of stains.  I will show you some of my favorites. I found several pieces embroideried with this design at a favorite consignment shop. This blue runner (reversible to stripes), found on consignment. This is one of the nicer quality tablecloths I have found, $4.00 at a thrift store. This cloth was around $10.00 on consignment. This runner is also reversible to polka dots, and was a consignment find. This pink and white gingham is perfect in the sun room, and is a consignment find also. This is the most valuable table cloth I have found, and it was $2.00 at a nearby yard sale.  It is a vintage Wielunder.  They sell on ebay for 30 - 90 dollars.  Mine is in pristine condition! Christmas tablecloth, consignment sale.   Consignmen

Trash to Treasure

We had noticed this "jar" sitting near a trash pile, and my husband decided to see what it was.  It was full of dirt, and covered in grime.  After soaking it a while, it looked much better. The shape and color is very nice. At first I thought it might be a globe for a lamp or some type of candle holder. The bottom has an opening, and no markings. Do you know what it might be? This is how I'm using it. It's made of thick bubbled glass. Any guesses?? Know what this was in its former life?   It makes a wonderful vase for faux flowers! It's a vintage fly /wasp trap!!   Once yucky, now pretty!!! Joining: Wow Us Wednesday Home and Garden Thursday Share Your Cup Thursday Thursday Favorite Things   Feathered Nest Friday Be Inspired Frugal Friday @  Shabby Nest Home Sweet Home @  The Charm of Home Thrifty Things Friday @   The Thrifty Groove Junk Party @ Funky Junk Interiors

What's in the Hutch?

Yesterday I awoke in the mood to do some "deep" cleaning.  First on my list was to dust inside the china cabinet in the dining room.  Can you believe how much dust can get into a closed cabinet.  Really, how does that happen?  My cabinet has glass shelves and they were hazy with dust.  This is a rather tedious job because I not only have china inside, I have all kinds of little "pretties" stored there too.  It's one of the first things you see upon entry into our home, so I really should do this more often.  I want show you the before, sufficeth to say, it had been a while since I had tackled this chore.  Here are some photos showing the "after". Here is a collection of vases and crystal pitchers .   These were all gifts except the smallest one in the front and the one to the right of it. China and a consignment shop cake plate.  The china was formerly my MILs. More china . This little fairy lives here with her 2 sisters. They can all be seen