Skip to main content

Still on a Painting Binge

I'm keeping my hands busy right now to keep my mind off the adversities that life throws at us from time to time.  Seems like last July when I was at death's door set off a string of events that I could write a book about.  It's been one thing right after another for the year, and even prior to that.  I'm ready for this little black cloud, to clear out.  But through it all I've felt the hand of God close by, saying come to me and rest.  

I sincerely hope things lighten up really soon.  But for those of you who believe and pray, I have a very special request I'd like for you to pray about.  God knows what it is and I'm not at liberty to say, but pray for the two young men that Kathy requested.  He'll know what you mean.
`````~~~~~~~~~~~~~````````~~~~~~~~~````````~~~~~~``````~` Now, I'm still painting and using up some partial bottles/cans of paints.

I bought this small chest at Good Will of course.  It may have cost $8.00.  


This was the only piece in my room that wasn't painted. So out came a partial bottle of Waverly Chalk paint in Moss, and a partial bottle of Waverly White Chalk paint, and I even resorted to a small craft size bottle of white acrylic paint.

First, I removed all the drawers, as well as the knobs, which had always looked gold to me against the wood grain.  Well once they were put against the newly painted surface, they are silver.

I first painted the top and sides of the chest.  I would dab the brush in the white, then the green and just brush in the direction of the grain.


This allowed the drawers to look different.  Some had more white while others had more green and I don't have a photo showing how the sides came out, but they are gorgeous, if I do say so myself.

To paint the drawers, I stood them on the back end which had the top part upwards.  This made them extremely easy to paint, and as you know chalk paint dries almost immediately.

Later last night I remembered some "pretties" I had that would give the chest a little character.  I bought these designs at the Dollar Tree recently and had used several on the aqua top sitting on the desk in my room.


 I like the designs on the front and will get another set when I get to Dollar Tree, for the bottom 2 drawers.  Til then, I added round stickers that were on the page with the bigger ones.




I decided not to distress this chest right now, of course that might come later.

I'm debating changing the color of the hall tree, but the distressing on it is such perfection, I'm afraid to paint it.  If I do decide too, I think I can place vaseline on the distressed areas and the paint won't adhere there.  That way I could keep it heavily distressed, yet still change the color.  I also have a piece in the basement that's on my list to paint. It will be distressed I think.  Then today, my daughter and I decided that my breakfast table and chairs would look good white.  So all paint is in my future.  I'm also deciding what colors I want the inside of my house painted.  In a few months, I'm going to get it all spruced up.  Only 2 rooms in my house have been painted since the initial paint when it was built in 2000.  And you should see the walls under all these pictures I have hanging up.  It's a shame.  But we know a great painter and he can work magic fixing those walls.  So I'm going to get on his list as soon as I can.

Wishing all of you a wonderful week ahead.  

Psalms for the day:  Set a guard O Lord, over my mouth;
                                 Keep watch over the door of my lips.
                                 Psalms 141:3

Sharing here:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linens & Things

I love finding tablecloths, runners, napkins, and other linens when I am out thrifting. Whether it be at consignment shops, GW, or yard sales, I will usually snap up a pretty linen if it doesn't have a lot of stains.  I will show you some of my favorites. I found several pieces embroideried with this design at a favorite consignment shop. This blue runner (reversible to stripes), found on consignment. This is one of the nicer quality tablecloths I have found, $4.00 at a thrift store. This cloth was around $10.00 on consignment. This runner is also reversible to polka dots, and was a consignment find. This pink and white gingham is perfect in the sun room, and is a consignment find also. This is the most valuable table cloth I have found, and it was $2.00 at a nearby yard sale.  It is a vintage Wielunder.  They sell on ebay for 30 - 90 dollars.  Mine is in pristine condition! Christmas tablecloth, consignment sale.   Consignmen

Trash to Treasure

We had noticed this "jar" sitting near a trash pile, and my husband decided to see what it was.  It was full of dirt, and covered in grime.  After soaking it a while, it looked much better. The shape and color is very nice. At first I thought it might be a globe for a lamp or some type of candle holder. The bottom has an opening, and no markings. Do you know what it might be? This is how I'm using it. It's made of thick bubbled glass. Any guesses?? Know what this was in its former life?   It makes a wonderful vase for faux flowers! It's a vintage fly /wasp trap!!   Once yucky, now pretty!!! Joining: Wow Us Wednesday Home and Garden Thursday Share Your Cup Thursday Thursday Favorite Things   Feathered Nest Friday Be Inspired Frugal Friday @  Shabby Nest Home Sweet Home @  The Charm of Home Thrifty Things Friday @   The Thrifty Groove Junk Party @ Funky Junk Interiors

What's in the Hutch?

Yesterday I awoke in the mood to do some "deep" cleaning.  First on my list was to dust inside the china cabinet in the dining room.  Can you believe how much dust can get into a closed cabinet.  Really, how does that happen?  My cabinet has glass shelves and they were hazy with dust.  This is a rather tedious job because I not only have china inside, I have all kinds of little "pretties" stored there too.  It's one of the first things you see upon entry into our home, so I really should do this more often.  I want show you the before, sufficeth to say, it had been a while since I had tackled this chore.  Here are some photos showing the "after". Here is a collection of vases and crystal pitchers .   These were all gifts except the smallest one in the front and the one to the right of it. China and a consignment shop cake plate.  The china was formerly my MILs. More china . This little fairy lives here with her 2 sisters. They can all be seen