Skip to main content

My Latest Paint Project

I've had an old dresser in the basement for years just holding junk.  Since I'm now divorced and changed my room to a girlie room, I decided I needed that dresser made over and brought upstairs.  It was bought in 1976 when we built our first home, and was a maple color.  I decided that color had to go and looked in my leftover paint cans to find a color in the turquoise family.  There was part of a can left with the 'Copper Patina' color that we painted the walls in the library.  I mixed in some Plaster of Paris and water to make a chalk paint to use.  My daughter came that afternoon and helped me get it in the house.  I had made a dash into Good Will and picked up some brass pieces that I thought would look good on it.  The dresser is to the right in the photo. I also  moved the chair and ottoman over to that side of the room.

Next is a photo from the front.

I added just a touch of white and spray painted the handles glossy black. The top is more heavily distressed than the other part of the dresser. I have the mirror to the dresser, but I like to be able to decorate on the wall above, so it hasn't gotten a coat of paint yet, but some day it might.


I switched the large desk for the white sofa table and placed the turquoise shelf on the table for more organizational space.


I am happy with my own master suite.  As long as I can have the colors I want, I'm happy. Here you can see the tray ceiling.


Showing my bedroom from this angle.  When I can find an affordable settee I want to put one at the foot of the bed.  That will require a large rug too.  Y'all know how one change brings on another!  


I added LED lighting to the metal piece above the headboard.

I think I will paint this chest I picked up at Good Will.  Maybe the top and sides in white and the drawer fronts in turquoise or vice versa.  Not sure what I want it to be like.


Here, I've added a runner and a pedestal to hold the bird.  I shopped the house for these pieces.

So, what do you think?  I'm so glad for the extra space for pj's etc.  I switched the curtains out with the guest room so I could get the yellow since the quilt on the bed is blue and yellow.

Have you made over any old furniture recently?  It's so much fun, and this didn't take long at all because I used chalk paint.  I did put on 2 coats.

Sharing at these parties:

Create, Bake, Grow & Gather @ Shabby Art Boutique

Today's Bible Verse:
I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge
and my fortress; My God, in Him will I
trust!
Psalms 91:2 (NKJV)



Comments

Post a Comment

I love your comments and feedback. Be sure to leave a comment so I know you visited, and I will visit you and leave you a comment in return! Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Linens & Things

I love finding tablecloths, runners, napkins, and other linens when I am out thrifting. Whether it be at consignment shops, GW, or yard sales, I will usually snap up a pretty linen if it doesn't have a lot of stains.  I will show you some of my favorites. I found several pieces embroideried with this design at a favorite consignment shop. This blue runner (reversible to stripes), found on consignment. This is one of the nicer quality tablecloths I have found, $4.00 at a thrift store. This cloth was around $10.00 on consignment. This runner is also reversible to polka dots, and was a consignment find. This pink and white gingham is perfect in the sun room, and is a consignment find also. This is the most valuable table cloth I have found, and it was $2.00 at a nearby yard sale.  It is a vintage Wielunder.  They sell on ebay for 30 - 90 dollars.  Mine is in pristine condition! Christmas tablecloth, consignment sale.   Consignmen

Trash to Treasure

We had noticed this "jar" sitting near a trash pile, and my husband decided to see what it was.  It was full of dirt, and covered in grime.  After soaking it a while, it looked much better. The shape and color is very nice. At first I thought it might be a globe for a lamp or some type of candle holder. The bottom has an opening, and no markings. Do you know what it might be? This is how I'm using it. It's made of thick bubbled glass. Any guesses?? Know what this was in its former life?   It makes a wonderful vase for faux flowers! It's a vintage fly /wasp trap!!   Once yucky, now pretty!!! Joining: Wow Us Wednesday Home and Garden Thursday Share Your Cup Thursday Thursday Favorite Things   Feathered Nest Friday Be Inspired Frugal Friday @  Shabby Nest Home Sweet Home @  The Charm of Home Thrifty Things Friday @   The Thrifty Groove Junk Party @ Funky Junk Interiors

What's in the Hutch?

Yesterday I awoke in the mood to do some "deep" cleaning.  First on my list was to dust inside the china cabinet in the dining room.  Can you believe how much dust can get into a closed cabinet.  Really, how does that happen?  My cabinet has glass shelves and they were hazy with dust.  This is a rather tedious job because I not only have china inside, I have all kinds of little "pretties" stored there too.  It's one of the first things you see upon entry into our home, so I really should do this more often.  I want show you the before, sufficeth to say, it had been a while since I had tackled this chore.  Here are some photos showing the "after". Here is a collection of vases and crystal pitchers .   These were all gifts except the smallest one in the front and the one to the right of it. China and a consignment shop cake plate.  The china was formerly my MILs. More china . This little fairy lives here with her 2 sisters. They can all be seen