Skip to main content

Tips for Decorating Without Spending Lots of Money

I love decorating and changing things up without spending a lot of money, and do the majority of my shopping for home decor in second hand consignment shops, and at Good Will.  The best buys are at Good Will.  You just have to be patient, but go in often to catch the deals.  Learn which days are discount days, and shop then.  They usually have the shelves full on those days, at least they do locally.  In this post, I will share various places throughout my home where I've decorated with Good Will and consignment finds.  If you try, you can put together items that are pleasing to the eye, and make a nice vignette.


The picture of roses is one a friend bought at an antique shop and later gave to me.  The lamp is vintage and belonged to my MIL.  The pink rimmed bowl and bowl holding roses were finds at an estate sale, and the green bottle was found at Good Will. I have about five dollars in the entire arrangement.  Remember to use books in your vignettes, as decorative items, and to elevate other items.

This candle stick and plate came from Good Will, and the lamp was from a consignment shop.


I bought the white pedestal from Kmart years ago for $5.00, and the teapot and roses came from Good Will for a couple dollars.  


This is a quilt bought at consignment and I'm using it as a table cloth in the sun room.  Think outside the box.  You don't have to use things for their intended purpose.  Use your imagination and come up with other ways to use your favorite items.


This chair is a consignment find for $10 if I remember correctly and it's a perfect match for the drop front desk.  

This bedding is from Good Will, the sheets, quilt and dust ruffle all for around $13.00.  The sheets were still in the original package, and they work perfectly with the quilt.

This gravy boat is from an estate sale for about a dollar.  


The blue and aqua bottles and the pitchers are from Good Will, the shutters and frame from consignment.  None of these cost much at all, and they make an interesting mantel display.

I don't recall if this is from Good Will or consignment, but it wasn't expensive, and it makes a lovely container for these tulips.


This 'table cloth' is a ladies scarf, $1 at Good Will.  Always look through the scarves, they have all shapes and sizes, some of which make great table cloths and runners.  I love the colors in this one.

This arrangement is a Good Will find.  I just put a fresh coat of white paint on it, pulled out the ugly flowers and added the pink and white ones from my stash.  

I hope these examples inspire you to shop at thrift, consignment stores, estate and garage sales, and your Good Will store.  I've found such lovely treasures, and this way, by not spending so much, I can always change things when I get tired of them.

I'll share at these link parties.  Be sure to check them out for lots of inspiration.



Sunday’s at Home @ My Soulful Home 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linens & Things

I love finding tablecloths, runners, napkins, and other linens when I am out thrifting. Whether it be at consignment shops, GW, or yard sales, I will usually snap up a pretty linen if it doesn't have a lot of stains.  I will show you some of my favorites. I found several pieces embroideried with this design at a favorite consignment shop. This blue runner (reversible to stripes), found on consignment. This is one of the nicer quality tablecloths I have found, $4.00 at a thrift store. This cloth was around $10.00 on consignment. This runner is also reversible to polka dots, and was a consignment find. This pink and white gingham is perfect in the sun room, and is a consignment find also. This is the most valuable table cloth I have found, and it was $2.00 at a nearby yard sale.  It is a vintage Wielunder.  They sell on ebay for 30 - 90 dollars.  Mine is in pristine condition! Christmas tablecloth, consignment sale.   Consignmen

Trash to Treasure

We had noticed this "jar" sitting near a trash pile, and my husband decided to see what it was.  It was full of dirt, and covered in grime.  After soaking it a while, it looked much better. The shape and color is very nice. At first I thought it might be a globe for a lamp or some type of candle holder. The bottom has an opening, and no markings. Do you know what it might be? This is how I'm using it. It's made of thick bubbled glass. Any guesses?? Know what this was in its former life?   It makes a wonderful vase for faux flowers! It's a vintage fly /wasp trap!!   Once yucky, now pretty!!! Joining: Wow Us Wednesday Home and Garden Thursday Share Your Cup Thursday Thursday Favorite Things   Feathered Nest Friday Be Inspired Frugal Friday @  Shabby Nest Home Sweet Home @  The Charm of Home Thrifty Things Friday @   The Thrifty Groove Junk Party @ Funky Junk Interiors

What's in the Hutch?

Yesterday I awoke in the mood to do some "deep" cleaning.  First on my list was to dust inside the china cabinet in the dining room.  Can you believe how much dust can get into a closed cabinet.  Really, how does that happen?  My cabinet has glass shelves and they were hazy with dust.  This is a rather tedious job because I not only have china inside, I have all kinds of little "pretties" stored there too.  It's one of the first things you see upon entry into our home, so I really should do this more often.  I want show you the before, sufficeth to say, it had been a while since I had tackled this chore.  Here are some photos showing the "after". Here is a collection of vases and crystal pitchers .   These were all gifts except the smallest one in the front and the one to the right of it. China and a consignment shop cake plate.  The china was formerly my MILs. More china . This little fairy lives here with her 2 sisters. They can all be seen