Skip to main content

Converting The Bonus Room to a Private Retreat

We have a bonus room above the garage. It's quite a large room, and has never gotten any use.  Well, that is about to change!  I've decided to make a few changes, and claim it as my little retreat! I plan to spend very little to restyle this room.

There isn't an entrance to the room from the house.  It requires going into the garage, then up about 20 stairs to reach the room.  The views from the room are wonderful.
BEFORE

BEFORE

This room was originally meant for an extra bed room/play room for my grandson.  It was never used much at all though.  My neightbor painted the balloons and scenery on the walls because it would be a play room.  I hope to get this room painted in the next few weeks.  We are having the exterior of the house painted, and I would like to have this room painted too, if I can talk the hubby into it!! (fingers crossed).  My daughter has just painted her whole house in Benjamin Moore, Grecian Green, a lovely color, so I might do that in this room, with all white ceilings!!  The flooring is green, tile look, vinyl that still looks new.  No wear or tear!! I can work with it though until I can get it painted, and plan to make it a cozy little getaway.  Since it is not part of the main living area, it is extremely quiet up here. Great place for reading, or napping.

I've started changing things by shopping the house.


First of all, I wanted to change the bedding so,  I added a light colored quilt, pillow cases I embroideried, and reversed the comforter, and folded it across the foot of the bed.  So much better, already.






Back when we first built the house, I simply printed off pictures of hot air balloons to hang on the walls as art work.

I brought those frames down, cleaned them, and printed out botanical pictures from the Graphics Fairy for a change here.


So much brighter, and prettier.






There's a really OLD cabinet style TV in this room, that I can't possibly move down the stairs, so I covered it with a tablecloth, and placed a lamp, magazines and a candle on the top, using it as a table.






There's plenty of room for a sofa and love seat.  I have both stored in my basement, and am thinking about how I can get those moved upstairs.  I may hire someone to bring them up and at the same time remove the old TV.  

Room (above) for sofa

Room (below) for loveseat/table





My current sitting area is a Lane recliner I've had for probably 20-25 years.  It's just like new, and super comfy.  Makes the perfect place for a nap!!



The room has 3 windows, and 2 skylights, plenty of light in here!!


I'm thinking, if I can get the furniture moved up here, I will rearrange the furniture, and make a more cohesive sitting area!  I'd like for the seating to face the windows for the views.  

See why I can't move the furniture??

The stairs have 2 turns in them, and the stairwell is kinda narrow, but maybe a couple guys could move the furniture for me.

As I convert this room, I will share what I'm doing with you.

I'm excited to get it like I want it.
I think it will be a very welcoming extra guest room, as well as my quiet room.  :)

Sharing here:


Idea Box Thursday @ Christman’s Creations
         Home and Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Lif
              Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home
Creative Collection @ Classy Clutter
 Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Vintage Inspiration @ Knick of Time
Shabbylicious Friday @ Shabby Art Boutique

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linens & Things

I love finding tablecloths, runners, napkins, and other linens when I am out thrifting. Whether it be at consignment shops, GW, or yard sales, I will usually snap up a pretty linen if it doesn't have a lot of stains.  I will show you some of my favorites. I found several pieces embroideried with this design at a favorite consignment shop. This blue runner (reversible to stripes), found on consignment. This is one of the nicer quality tablecloths I have found, $4.00 at a thrift store. This cloth was around $10.00 on consignment. This runner is also reversible to polka dots, and was a consignment find. This pink and white gingham is perfect in the sun room, and is a consignment find also. This is the most valuable table cloth I have found, and it was $2.00 at a nearby yard sale.  It is a vintage Wielunder.  They sell on ebay for 30 - 90 dollars.  Mine is in pristine condition! Christmas tablecloth, consignment sale.   Consignmen

Trash to Treasure

We had noticed this "jar" sitting near a trash pile, and my husband decided to see what it was.  It was full of dirt, and covered in grime.  After soaking it a while, it looked much better. The shape and color is very nice. At first I thought it might be a globe for a lamp or some type of candle holder. The bottom has an opening, and no markings. Do you know what it might be? This is how I'm using it. It's made of thick bubbled glass. Any guesses?? Know what this was in its former life?   It makes a wonderful vase for faux flowers! It's a vintage fly /wasp trap!!   Once yucky, now pretty!!! Joining: Wow Us Wednesday Home and Garden Thursday Share Your Cup Thursday Thursday Favorite Things   Feathered Nest Friday Be Inspired Frugal Friday @  Shabby Nest Home Sweet Home @  The Charm of Home Thrifty Things Friday @   The Thrifty Groove Junk Party @ Funky Junk Interiors

What's in the Hutch?

Yesterday I awoke in the mood to do some "deep" cleaning.  First on my list was to dust inside the china cabinet in the dining room.  Can you believe how much dust can get into a closed cabinet.  Really, how does that happen?  My cabinet has glass shelves and they were hazy with dust.  This is a rather tedious job because I not only have china inside, I have all kinds of little "pretties" stored there too.  It's one of the first things you see upon entry into our home, so I really should do this more often.  I want show you the before, sufficeth to say, it had been a while since I had tackled this chore.  Here are some photos showing the "after". Here is a collection of vases and crystal pitchers .   These were all gifts except the smallest one in the front and the one to the right of it. China and a consignment shop cake plate.  The china was formerly my MILs. More china . This little fairy lives here with her 2 sisters. They can all be seen