Skip to main content

Makin' a Big Ole Rag Quilt

Y'all may remember my recent try at making a rag quilt. I made a small one, and really learned quite a lot during the process.  So I figured it was time to try my hand at a larger one.  I did it in about a day and a half.  

Here's my small quilt.




I purchased quilting squares that were 18x21.  They came in packages and I bought them at Wal Mart.  I liked working with this size because each fabric square makes 2 blocks, 9 x 10.5 inches.   I learned from my first try that I wanted to make the next quilt with larger squares than the 5x5 inches.

I used 2 packages of the 18x21 squares, about a yard of fabric I had in my stash, about 1/2 roll of polyester batting (which I hate), and a few single pieces of the 18x21 fabric squares that I bought separately off the clearance section for .73 each.  I spent about $35.00 (estimate) for this quilt, and it will fit a full bed, and lay nicely on top of a queen. 

I made this quilt so that the top and bottom squares are the same.  

Here it is on top of a king size bed, so it obviously isn't big enough for a king size, but could be easily enlarged if needed.




The patterned fabric is called Batik.  

Here are the steps I used to make this quilt.  It is simple, and a quilt as you go project.
How To:

First, unfold your fabric squares, and iron them flat. Then fold in half across, and iron a crease, and fold again, and iron a crease.  This gives you a guide for cutting.

I used a self-healing mat and a rotary cutter. 

2. After ironing several pieces, I unfolded the last fold I made, and used the cutter to cut the pieces in half. Then I would unfold those pieces and stack them so the creases were in the center, and make another cut.  That way there was only 2 cuts made to each piece, and by stacking them, it makes really quick work of getting the squares cut.  I made my squares 9x10.5 inches, so there would be no waste.  This worked out really well.

3. Roll out your batting and cut squares to go between the fabric squares.  I cut mine roughly 8x9 inches. Some were larger, some smaller.....not a big deal.

4. Build "sandwiches" by placing batting between 2 squares of fabric, front side facing outward on both squares, with the batting between.  Pin these sandwiches together.  I made all the fabric sandwiches prior to starting sewing.

5. Once the sandwiches are made, place a stack near your sewing machine, and start sewing them by stitching an "X" on them.  This is the "quilting", and the only design I sewed on the squares.

Once you have all the squares sewn with an X, you are ready to start sewing them together to make a quilt.  

6. I laid my squares out on the floor before sewing, so I could arrange them in a manner that I liked.  That way, you can control where the squares end up, and not have two of the same beside each other.

7. To sew them together, gather up one row of squares from your "layout", and sew them so that the edge faces upward.  (see below)



8. Continue sewing the squares together until you complete all the rows.  I sewed 8 squares per row, and have 8 rows.  You can choose to make any size you wish, and also make the squares any size you like.

9. Once you have all the rows sewn, you sew them together with the edges up as you did to make the rows.



10.  Once all the rows are sewn together, stitch around all 4 sides of the quilt.

11.  The final step in making the quilt is to clip all the seams that are facing upward.  Be careful not to cut through the stitches that holds the quilt/squares together. Next, launder the quilt.  This is what makes it soft and "raggy".  The quilt above has been laundered.  See how soft it looks?

That is all you do to make a rag quilt.  Like I said, on this one, I worked all day yesterday, and about 5 hours today to complete.

Go ahead, make you one!  They are fun quilts, don't require lots of skill to make. (Believe me!)  



The lower right corner shows the back.





So......you gonna make one??


Sharing here:

What's It Wednesday @ Ivy and Elephants
         Home and Garden Thursday @ 
Home Sweet Home 
 Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linens & Things

I love finding tablecloths, runners, napkins, and other linens when I am out thrifting. Whether it be at consignment shops, GW, or yard sales, I will usually snap up a pretty linen if it doesn't have a lot of stains.  I will show you some of my favorites. I found several pieces embroideried with this design at a favorite consignment shop. This blue runner (reversible to stripes), found on consignment. This is one of the nicer quality tablecloths I have found, $4.00 at a thrift store. This cloth was around $10.00 on consignment. This runner is also reversible to polka dots, and was a consignment find. This pink and white gingham is perfect in the sun room, and is a consignment find also. This is the most valuable table cloth I have found, and it was $2.00 at a nearby yard sale.  It is a vintage Wielunder.  They sell on ebay for 30 - 90 dollars.  Mine is in pristine condition! Christmas tablecloth, consignment sale.   Consignmen

Trash to Treasure

We had noticed this "jar" sitting near a trash pile, and my husband decided to see what it was.  It was full of dirt, and covered in grime.  After soaking it a while, it looked much better. The shape and color is very nice. At first I thought it might be a globe for a lamp or some type of candle holder. The bottom has an opening, and no markings. Do you know what it might be? This is how I'm using it. It's made of thick bubbled glass. Any guesses?? Know what this was in its former life?   It makes a wonderful vase for faux flowers! It's a vintage fly /wasp trap!!   Once yucky, now pretty!!! Joining: Wow Us Wednesday Home and Garden Thursday Share Your Cup Thursday Thursday Favorite Things   Feathered Nest Friday Be Inspired Frugal Friday @  Shabby Nest Home Sweet Home @  The Charm of Home Thrifty Things Friday @   The Thrifty Groove Junk Party @ Funky Junk Interiors

What's in the Hutch?

Yesterday I awoke in the mood to do some "deep" cleaning.  First on my list was to dust inside the china cabinet in the dining room.  Can you believe how much dust can get into a closed cabinet.  Really, how does that happen?  My cabinet has glass shelves and they were hazy with dust.  This is a rather tedious job because I not only have china inside, I have all kinds of little "pretties" stored there too.  It's one of the first things you see upon entry into our home, so I really should do this more often.  I want show you the before, sufficeth to say, it had been a while since I had tackled this chore.  Here are some photos showing the "after". Here is a collection of vases and crystal pitchers .   These were all gifts except the smallest one in the front and the one to the right of it. China and a consignment shop cake plate.  The china was formerly my MILs. More china . This little fairy lives here with her 2 sisters. They can all be seen