Skip to main content

Decorating With Repurposed Trays and Boxes

I love decorating using old wooden boxes, trays, drawers, and items that are old, and formerly had other uses.  Like this old wooden box I found a few years ago. It's a simple shipping box that has Made in the USA on it.  I believe it originally held some type of Military supplies.  I've been thinking about giving it a light gray wash. I think I could do that without interfering with the engraving on it.  Here it holds a plant and two repurposed Mason jars I did recently.



I have this old tool box that I've filled with bargain flowers and it sits on top of the jelly cupboard in the sun room.  This box has been green, white, blue, and now it's pink!  Versatile to say the least!!




Here I've used a tray to corral a group of items for a Spring vignette.


Here this wooden trug (I made over by painting white and adding label) holds florals from a yard sale that were a dime for each pot.


I made over this bamboo box by painting the inserts turquoise, and adding tulips from Michael's to it.  It also holds a blue vintage Mason jar.




The old 8 track tape box made by a friend about 45 years ago is no exception.  I've decorated it in all kinds of ways since I painted and placed Graphic's Fairy graphics on it.  Here it holds my collection of vintage kitchen utensils.


There are all kinds of ways to decorate using old boxes, trays, etc.

Old sewing drawers can be painted, and dressed up to hold lots of neat items.  Here vintage mason jars and old silver spoons are decorating this one.
 You can use them for any occasion.  You're limited only by your own imagination.

The tray below started life, hot pink and white, but I bathed it in turquoise, and glued pretty scrap paper to the inside.  It's great for spring decor.


Sometimes you just have to think outside  inside the box, and get creative!!

How have you used boxes and trays in your décor?

Sharing here:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linens & Things

I love finding tablecloths, runners, napkins, and other linens when I am out thrifting. Whether it be at consignment shops, GW, or yard sales, I will usually snap up a pretty linen if it doesn't have a lot of stains.  I will show you some of my favorites. I found several pieces embroideried with this design at a favorite consignment shop. This blue runner (reversible to stripes), found on consignment. This is one of the nicer quality tablecloths I have found, $4.00 at a thrift store. This cloth was around $10.00 on consignment. This runner is also reversible to polka dots, and was a consignment find. This pink and white gingham is perfect in the sun room, and is a consignment find also. This is the most valuable table cloth I have found, and it was $2.00 at a nearby yard sale.  It is a vintage Wielunder.  They sell on ebay for 30 - 90 dollars.  Mine is in pristine condition! Christmas tablecloth, consignment sale.   Consignmen

Trash to Treasure

We had noticed this "jar" sitting near a trash pile, and my husband decided to see what it was.  It was full of dirt, and covered in grime.  After soaking it a while, it looked much better. The shape and color is very nice. At first I thought it might be a globe for a lamp or some type of candle holder. The bottom has an opening, and no markings. Do you know what it might be? This is how I'm using it. It's made of thick bubbled glass. Any guesses?? Know what this was in its former life?   It makes a wonderful vase for faux flowers! It's a vintage fly /wasp trap!!   Once yucky, now pretty!!! Joining: Wow Us Wednesday Home and Garden Thursday Share Your Cup Thursday Thursday Favorite Things   Feathered Nest Friday Be Inspired Frugal Friday @  Shabby Nest Home Sweet Home @  The Charm of Home Thrifty Things Friday @   The Thrifty Groove Junk Party @ Funky Junk Interiors

What's in the Hutch?

Yesterday I awoke in the mood to do some "deep" cleaning.  First on my list was to dust inside the china cabinet in the dining room.  Can you believe how much dust can get into a closed cabinet.  Really, how does that happen?  My cabinet has glass shelves and they were hazy with dust.  This is a rather tedious job because I not only have china inside, I have all kinds of little "pretties" stored there too.  It's one of the first things you see upon entry into our home, so I really should do this more often.  I want show you the before, sufficeth to say, it had been a while since I had tackled this chore.  Here are some photos showing the "after". Here is a collection of vases and crystal pitchers .   These were all gifts except the smallest one in the front and the one to the right of it. China and a consignment shop cake plate.  The china was formerly my MILs. More china . This little fairy lives here with her 2 sisters. They can all be seen