Skip to main content

Making Slip Covers for the Sofa and Loveseat

I finally jumped on the "make your own slipcovers" bandwagon. Bloggers like Miss Mustard Seed, make it look so easy.  Well, it's not so easy for an "old" woman, especially if you lay your drop cloth on the floor to cut it, and you have to crawl around to pin, etc.  Wow, did I get tired.

It would have been a better idea if I had watched the tutorial at MMS blog first.  Instead, I watched one I found on YouTube, and it wasn't nearly as thorough.  Altogether, I worked on slipcovers for the sofa and loveseat for 4 days!  It's a tedious process for me, as I am not a good seamstress.  I have basic knowledge only.  I did pretty good for the first time, I guess.  I keep taking tucks here and there, hoping to make them look better.

I do like the lighter color in the family room.  Our furniture has seen better days, and we really need to purchase new, but I'm not ready to spend the money yet.

A piece of advice, if you decide to try your hand at making slip covers.  Be sure to wash the drop cloths first, and iron them.  I didn't on the one for the loveseat, and it was harder to work with.  Of course, it was the first one I tried too.  Another tip is to use the seams, hems, and selvage to your advantage when cutting the fabric.  It takes some of the work out of the process.

These are no where near perfect, but since they are supposed to look rumpled, I can get by with them for a while.

I didn't take pictures of each step because, I didn't want to take time to.
Sofa (looking toward front door)

Sofa

Loveseat

View, coming in front door.

I had fabric left from that I bought to finish my mother's quilt, so I used it to make covers for the throw pillows. I'm trying to decide if I want to hang different drapes for the summer.  I'm thinking about white sheers, maybe........

I bought a total of 4 drop cloths for this project, 2 small ones for the loveseat, and 2 larger ones for the sofa.  I had very few scraps left.

I estimate having around $65.00 in this project for both pieces of furniture.

Sharing here:
Whimsy Wednesday @ Simply Designing with Ashley
Centerpiece Wednesday @ The Style Sisters 
Posed Perfection for Creative Ways
 Katherines Corner for Favorite Things
 A Delightsome Life for Home and Garden 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linens & Things

I love finding tablecloths, runners, napkins, and other linens when I am out thrifting. Whether it be at consignment shops, GW, or yard sales, I will usually snap up a pretty linen if it doesn't have a lot of stains.  I will show you some of my favorites. I found several pieces embroideried with this design at a favorite consignment shop. This blue runner (reversible to stripes), found on consignment. This is one of the nicer quality tablecloths I have found, $4.00 at a thrift store. This cloth was around $10.00 on consignment. This runner is also reversible to polka dots, and was a consignment find. This pink and white gingham is perfect in the sun room, and is a consignment find also. This is the most valuable table cloth I have found, and it was $2.00 at a nearby yard sale.  It is a vintage Wielunder.  They sell on ebay for 30 - 90 dollars.  Mine is in pristine condition! Christmas tablecloth, consignment sale.   Consignmen

Trash to Treasure

We had noticed this "jar" sitting near a trash pile, and my husband decided to see what it was.  It was full of dirt, and covered in grime.  After soaking it a while, it looked much better. The shape and color is very nice. At first I thought it might be a globe for a lamp or some type of candle holder. The bottom has an opening, and no markings. Do you know what it might be? This is how I'm using it. It's made of thick bubbled glass. Any guesses?? Know what this was in its former life?   It makes a wonderful vase for faux flowers! It's a vintage fly /wasp trap!!   Once yucky, now pretty!!! Joining: Wow Us Wednesday Home and Garden Thursday Share Your Cup Thursday Thursday Favorite Things   Feathered Nest Friday Be Inspired Frugal Friday @  Shabby Nest Home Sweet Home @  The Charm of Home Thrifty Things Friday @   The Thrifty Groove Junk Party @ Funky Junk Interiors

What's in the Hutch?

Yesterday I awoke in the mood to do some "deep" cleaning.  First on my list was to dust inside the china cabinet in the dining room.  Can you believe how much dust can get into a closed cabinet.  Really, how does that happen?  My cabinet has glass shelves and they were hazy with dust.  This is a rather tedious job because I not only have china inside, I have all kinds of little "pretties" stored there too.  It's one of the first things you see upon entry into our home, so I really should do this more often.  I want show you the before, sufficeth to say, it had been a while since I had tackled this chore.  Here are some photos showing the "after". Here is a collection of vases and crystal pitchers .   These were all gifts except the smallest one in the front and the one to the right of it. China and a consignment shop cake plate.  The china was formerly my MILs. More china . This little fairy lives here with her 2 sisters. They can all be seen