Skip to main content

English Country Cottage Style PART I


I love English Country Cottage Style, all the roses, pictures, quilts, etc.  As I look around my home, both inside and out, I see touches of it, here and there. For example, I love using doilies, faux flowers, quilts, lots of tables, floral fabrics, and many other items that I consider to have an English  Country Cottage look.  So today, I am sharing various ways I've incorporated these items into my decorating style.

This vignette sits atop a fern stand in the sunroom.


This is my current centerpiece on the coffee table.  I updated this bamboo box, by painting it in certain areas, and lining the inside with a matching fabric.  It holds 2 bouquets of tulips, one lying in the box, and the other standing in an aqua ball jar.
A burlap runner I made is underneath the centerpiece.


On a table in the entryway, I have used a tablecloth in bold colors, 2 old sets of shutters, painted blue, and 2 vintage English looking plates, and a small lamp.  This is a favorite tablescape.  At least it must be, because it has stayed like this for close to a month.


Here you see a floral quilted runner in pastels, topped with tulips in a ball jar, an aqua jar filled with old silverware, and a crystal cake stand, and 2 floral hankies belonging to my Mom.


Here is a bouquet of red roses I made and wrapped with a white doily and green ribbon.  Another of my favorites.


Again, a small turquoise table with an old basket filled with floral stems.


Here I have used another rosy quilted runner atop a green table.


On a recent thrifting trip I found this English garden shower curtain for only $5.99.  It mingles well with the green towel tied with burlap, and the burgundy floral arrangement.  The arrangement sits on a plant stand with 4 swiveling shelves.

This fabulous awning striped fabric was only $3.00.


What sings English more than blue/white dishes and pink roses!  This picture is at the lakehouse.


Outdoor setting on front porch at lakehouse.  I freshened the basket of flowers up with some acrylic paint.


Here a faux plant adds a punch of color to the porch.


A vintage embroideried tea cloth looks pretty on the green oval table.


Here I layered a quilted rose runner on top of the pink gingham round tablecloth, which gives this round table a comfortable vibe.



Lace curtains hang on the french door to the master suite. 


The old pie safe reminds me of long ago when it stood in my Grandmother and then my mother's homes.

Here in the breakfast area, I have a combination of woods, some painted, and some not.  I've carried that throughout the house.





Quilts add comfort to any room.

Most of our beds now sport quilts, and bright colored pillow shams.


This floral pillow goes well in the sunroom.


I use old vintage plates to decorate the mantel, and other areas.



My style is probably considered by most to be eclectic, but I love having touches of English Country Cottage Style throughout.


Sharing at these lovely parties:

Tweak It Tuesday @ www.cozylittlehouse.com
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life 
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Whimsy Wednesday @ Simply Designing with Ashley
What's It Wednesday @ Ivy and Elephants
Centerpiece Wednesday @ The Style Sisters 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linens & Things

I love finding tablecloths, runners, napkins, and other linens when I am out thrifting. Whether it be at consignment shops, GW, or yard sales, I will usually snap up a pretty linen if it doesn't have a lot of stains.  I will show you some of my favorites. I found several pieces embroideried with this design at a favorite consignment shop. This blue runner (reversible to stripes), found on consignment. This is one of the nicer quality tablecloths I have found, $4.00 at a thrift store. This cloth was around $10.00 on consignment. This runner is also reversible to polka dots, and was a consignment find. This pink and white gingham is perfect in the sun room, and is a consignment find also. This is the most valuable table cloth I have found, and it was $2.00 at a nearby yard sale.  It is a vintage Wielunder.  They sell on ebay for 30 - 90 dollars.  Mine is in pristine condition! Christmas tablecloth, consignment sale.   Consignmen

Trash to Treasure

We had noticed this "jar" sitting near a trash pile, and my husband decided to see what it was.  It was full of dirt, and covered in grime.  After soaking it a while, it looked much better. The shape and color is very nice. At first I thought it might be a globe for a lamp or some type of candle holder. The bottom has an opening, and no markings. Do you know what it might be? This is how I'm using it. It's made of thick bubbled glass. Any guesses?? Know what this was in its former life?   It makes a wonderful vase for faux flowers! It's a vintage fly /wasp trap!!   Once yucky, now pretty!!! Joining: Wow Us Wednesday Home and Garden Thursday Share Your Cup Thursday Thursday Favorite Things   Feathered Nest Friday Be Inspired Frugal Friday @  Shabby Nest Home Sweet Home @  The Charm of Home Thrifty Things Friday @   The Thrifty Groove Junk Party @ Funky Junk Interiors

What's in the Hutch?

Yesterday I awoke in the mood to do some "deep" cleaning.  First on my list was to dust inside the china cabinet in the dining room.  Can you believe how much dust can get into a closed cabinet.  Really, how does that happen?  My cabinet has glass shelves and they were hazy with dust.  This is a rather tedious job because I not only have china inside, I have all kinds of little "pretties" stored there too.  It's one of the first things you see upon entry into our home, so I really should do this more often.  I want show you the before, sufficeth to say, it had been a while since I had tackled this chore.  Here are some photos showing the "after". Here is a collection of vases and crystal pitchers .   These were all gifts except the smallest one in the front and the one to the right of it. China and a consignment shop cake plate.  The china was formerly my MILs. More china . This little fairy lives here with her 2 sisters. They can all be seen