Skip to main content

The Mantel Saga

I got busy early this morning, and removed the Valentine's decor from the living room, entry, and dining room.  Then it all started..... what to use for "pre-Spring" on the mantel.  Well, I think I've nailed it after much contemplation and tweaking.

The first thing I did was make a wreath to hang on the mirror above the mantel.  I wanted something different.  So I went to my 'stash of stuff', and this is the result.


I used a green work wreath and added aqua mesh, white ribbon, and pink geraniums.  I kept the shutters on the mantel, added the blue sewing drawer, a small angel bust, and a faux plant.


I liked it, BUT, decided it might be too "Springy" for the season between winter and spring.  So I changed it. I removed the bright colors, and used the burlap wreath I made a long time ago.  I added neutral colored objects to the mantel.

Nice neutral vignettes.  Y'all know I need a pop of color!!
My husband and I went out for lunch and stopped off at a favorite consignment shop where I found this Studio 56 plate for $3.99.  Brought it home for the mantel.


Better in my opinion.

I did some work to the wreath.  The burlap had become a bit droopy since it was first made, so I added some wired burlap ribbon around the wreath, and made a sash bow for it to liven it up a little.



 My Willow Tree collection.


Bust, book I made, and faux grass.


The final product.  I think it will work just fine until I bring out the Spring!!

Where is the new wreath you ask?


On the front door for now!

Oh, and what else did I find at the consignment shop?


This sweet "Fresh Linens" sign, now hanging on my linen closet door!!

So how are you decorating right now?

Sharing at these great parties:


Sunday Show Off Linky Party @ Twigg Studios
Make it Pretty Monday @ The Dedicated House
Seasonal Sundays @ The Tablescaper
Project Inspire(d) @ Cupcakes and Crinoline
One More Time @ One More Time Events
Tweak It Tuesday @ www.cozylittlehouse.com
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life 
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linens & Things

I love finding tablecloths, runners, napkins, and other linens when I am out thrifting. Whether it be at consignment shops, GW, or yard sales, I will usually snap up a pretty linen if it doesn't have a lot of stains.  I will show you some of my favorites. I found several pieces embroideried with this design at a favorite consignment shop. This blue runner (reversible to stripes), found on consignment. This is one of the nicer quality tablecloths I have found, $4.00 at a thrift store. This cloth was around $10.00 on consignment. This runner is also reversible to polka dots, and was a consignment find. This pink and white gingham is perfect in the sun room, and is a consignment find also. This is the most valuable table cloth I have found, and it was $2.00 at a nearby yard sale.  It is a vintage Wielunder.  They sell on ebay for 30 - 90 dollars.  Mine is in pristine condition! Christmas tablecloth, consignment sale. ...

What's in the Hutch?

Yesterday I awoke in the mood to do some "deep" cleaning.  First on my list was to dust inside the china cabinet in the dining room.  Can you believe how much dust can get into a closed cabinet.  Really, how does that happen?  My cabinet has glass shelves and they were hazy with dust.  This is a rather tedious job because I not only have china inside, I have all kinds of little "pretties" stored there too.  It's one of the first things you see upon entry into our home, so I really should do this more often.  I want show you the before, sufficeth to say, it had been a while since I had tackled this chore.  Here are some photos showing the "after". Here is a collection of vases and crystal pitchers .   These were all gifts except the smallest one in the front and the one to the right of it. China and a consignment shop cake plate.  The china was formerly my MILs. More china . This little fairy lives here with her 2 sisters. They ...

Stenciled Burlap Pillow

I just have to share my no sew pillow project.  I had some burlap fabric in my fabric stash, and decided I would use it to cover a pillow.  First, I found an old pillow I no longer use.  I spread the burlap out on the floor and laid my pillow on it so I could cut the fabric big enough to cover it.  I was so intent on the project, I didn't make any pictures of the process. Once the burlap was cut, I folded in the sides about an inch, and glued it down with Tacky Glue, pressing it down several times with my fingers.  I did this all the way around the fabric, and laid it aside to dry over night.  The Tacky Glue dries clear. My next step was to determine how I could lap the fabric over the cushion in an envelope fashion.  I had tried to get my computer to print out a graphic that would show up on the burlap, but printer problems interfered with that plan, so I found the center, and stenciled it with the tree stencil I bought at Michael's. ...