Skip to main content

No Cost Bread Box Makeover

I found this bread box at a yard sale in May of 2012 for $8.00.  The lady having the yard sale had done the crackle finish on it.



I liked it since the taupe and cream blended well with my counter top, so I've used it this way ever since I bought it.

This morning, I was in the mood to be a little creative, so I decided to give the bread box a makeover.  I had all the paints and supplies in my stash, so this upgrade cost me nothing.  You can see below, that the box had a low sheen. Since I wanted to give it a distressed look, I didn't sand or anything.  I wanted some of the colors to show through the new paint color.


I gave it a "messy" paint technique, not quite a dry-brush, but a look where the brush strokes showed.  


I painted the hinges and knob with a white acrylic paint then took some of the paint off with a steel wool.


Before the paint was totally dry, I used a fine steel wool to distress the edges.  


Notice how prominent the brush marks are, just like I wanted them. Some of the brown/white shows through.  The scalloped edge of the back was just begging for something, so I stenciled my favorite fleur de lis there.  As usual,   I didn't measure for placement of any of the stenciling I did. I'm bad to just eyeball something and if it's halfway ok, I just go with it.  Next I stenciled "BREAD" on the front.  I painted the 'E' first, centering it over the knob, then the AD, then the R, and finally the B.  It came out pretty good what with just eyeballing the placement.  


Not exactly perfect, but neither am I!  :)





While I had all my paints out, I went ahead and gave the knife block an update too!


I think this may be my new favorite makeover!!  I really like this color, and have been using it in lots of projects recently.  It's Redwood Blue Spruce/Valspar sample.  


I like the pop of color it adds to the counter top.


Have you done a frugal makeover recently?  It's so much fun, and is a great creative outlet, especially when you don't want to do a big project.  Give it a try, then share what you did with us!  

Sharing this project at:

Show & Share @ Southern Lovely 

Show Me Extraordinary Thursday Party @ The 36th Avenue

Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage

Show And Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home

Frugal Friday @ Shabby Nest 

Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage

Be Inspired Friday @ Common Ground

Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home

Party Junk @ Funky Junk Interiors


Ladies, Thank you for hosting!!





Comments

  1. Love your breadbox makeover! You did a good job distressing it. The fact that it didn't cost anything is just icing on the cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a really nice job with your breadbox makeover. It looks so cute on your counter. I'm having a blog anniversary giveaway, so if you're interested in entering stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it looks so fabulous! Love what you did to it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it and you did a great job on the makeover. I have a breadbox almost just like this and it needs a makeover! :)
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and feedback. Be sure to leave a comment so I know you visited, and I will visit you and leave you a comment in return! Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Linens & Things

I love finding tablecloths, runners, napkins, and other linens when I am out thrifting. Whether it be at consignment shops, GW, or yard sales, I will usually snap up a pretty linen if it doesn't have a lot of stains.  I will show you some of my favorites. I found several pieces embroideried with this design at a favorite consignment shop. This blue runner (reversible to stripes), found on consignment. This is one of the nicer quality tablecloths I have found, $4.00 at a thrift store. This cloth was around $10.00 on consignment. This runner is also reversible to polka dots, and was a consignment find. This pink and white gingham is perfect in the sun room, and is a consignment find also. This is the most valuable table cloth I have found, and it was $2.00 at a nearby yard sale.  It is a vintage Wielunder.  They sell on ebay for 30 - 90 dollars.  Mine is in pristine condition! Christmas tablecloth, consignment sale.   Consignmen

Trash to Treasure

We had noticed this "jar" sitting near a trash pile, and my husband decided to see what it was.  It was full of dirt, and covered in grime.  After soaking it a while, it looked much better. The shape and color is very nice. At first I thought it might be a globe for a lamp or some type of candle holder. The bottom has an opening, and no markings. Do you know what it might be? This is how I'm using it. It's made of thick bubbled glass. Any guesses?? Know what this was in its former life?   It makes a wonderful vase for faux flowers! It's a vintage fly /wasp trap!!   Once yucky, now pretty!!! Joining: Wow Us Wednesday Home and Garden Thursday Share Your Cup Thursday Thursday Favorite Things   Feathered Nest Friday Be Inspired Frugal Friday @  Shabby Nest Home Sweet Home @  The Charm of Home Thrifty Things Friday @   The Thrifty Groove Junk Party @ Funky Junk Interiors

What's in the Hutch?

Yesterday I awoke in the mood to do some "deep" cleaning.  First on my list was to dust inside the china cabinet in the dining room.  Can you believe how much dust can get into a closed cabinet.  Really, how does that happen?  My cabinet has glass shelves and they were hazy with dust.  This is a rather tedious job because I not only have china inside, I have all kinds of little "pretties" stored there too.  It's one of the first things you see upon entry into our home, so I really should do this more often.  I want show you the before, sufficeth to say, it had been a while since I had tackled this chore.  Here are some photos showing the "after". Here is a collection of vases and crystal pitchers .   These were all gifts except the smallest one in the front and the one to the right of it. China and a consignment shop cake plate.  The china was formerly my MILs. More china . This little fairy lives here with her 2 sisters. They can all be seen