Skip to main content

Screened Porch Face Lift

Goodness, have we had a busy week!! Our screened porch was in need of a makeover!  It has kinda been a hodge podge of "stuff", things we've had for a long time.  I had been using some "ugly, tacky" Good Will cushions in the hunter green chairs and had the old originals in the loveseat and other chair. Nothing matched.  You can see, it had become quite the mess!!




This is how it looked when we started.  

We started by removing the screen!  We had not cleaned it this year, so it was really dirty.  Pollen, dust, and smoke had gotten the best of it!  There were a few holes in it, so we trashed the entire lot!  

Here it is without the screen.

We don't have steps going off the porch, so to keep from tracking through the house with all the dirty furniture and screen, I handed the chairs down to my husband who was on the step ladder below.

We finally got everything off, except the table, which I knew we would really need.  (plus, it was too heavy to lift and hand over the railing)!

Hubby got the pressure washer going, and handed the wand up to me to pressure wash the area.  After a good wash, we were ready to let it dry overnight.

Wednesday morning, we got ready to water seal.  Hubby placed a large tarp beneath the deck to prevent water sealer from dripping down and staining the concrete below.  I taped off all the metal framing that holds the screen.  After a while we were ready to start water sealing.  I sealed the railing while hubby "cut in" around the edge of the porch.  Then I rolled the sealer on the remainder of the floor.  Hubby climbed the ladder and got the outside of the railing, and the front board.  What a job!!  

We had planned to try to replace the screen ourselves, but decided that we were so tired, and have never done that, so we called the gentleman who enclosed the porch in the first place.  Luckily, he came over today and replaced the screen.  It looks fabulous!

New screen in place!

You know, this facelift called for some "pretty"!!  We made another run to Lowe's where I purchased spray paint called Leafy Rise, a Valspar paint sample (Blue Spruce), and matching cushions for all the seating.  FINALLY!!  


One of my favorite items in this entire makeover is a short ladder. We've had this small ladder for a number of years.  I think the hubby already had it when we married.  It was a little messy looking, so I used part of the Valspar sample to give it a makeover.  (Blue Spruce)

Love this!!


 The perfect place for all my plants!
 and a bird house, a bird,

The spray paint I purchased was for the two hunter green chairs.  I wanted a turquoise color, but was not able to find the color I wanted, so I bought Rustoleum Leafy Rise spray paint and primer in one.  I am well pleased with the color, and think it blends pretty well with the new cushions.








All we have left to do on this makeover is screen underneath the porch.  This will keep bugs, etc., from getting inside.  We have to do that here in the South, especially living in the country like we do.

I am excited to get to start enjoying our "new" space.  





Do you have an outdoor space you love?

I will share at:
Show And Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Frugal Friday @ Shabby Nest
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Be Inspired Friday @ Common Ground
Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home
Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous 


Comments

  1. Love your porch and it looks so clean and fresh. The new cushions look perfect, I really like the pattern and colors. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful porch you have!!! Wow, that was a lot of work but well worth it. The matching cushions really pulls it all together, and I love the painted chairs, turned out really nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your porch makeover looks fantastic! So clean and fresh - really like your paint choices. Now time to sit back, relax, and enjoy! Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful makeover! And such gorgeous views! I could see spending a lot of time out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, don't you just love a nice clean space to decorate. It looks so pretty. We keep talking about screening our deck too. I like the green wicker chairs. And..I love your beautiful landscape.......sigh.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow it looks great and you have such a wonderful view!!!!!!
    The colors you picked look so nice and cheery.

    We are getting our porch rescreened this summer too. It is hard work!
    Enjoy
    Earlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your screened in porch is wonderful! I love that ladder. Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this is wonderful, love the cushions and new green on those great wicker pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been catching up on your old posts and have to say I love your porch! It is so large! The view off your deck is very pretty too, gorgeous country. I know you must be enjoying it after getting it all cleaned. I hate cleaning ours but it always feels so good afterward. I love the green color you used to paint the wicker. It is beautiful with the new cushions. Your porch looks so very relaxing! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and feedback. Be sure to leave a comment so I know you visited, and I will visit you and leave you a comment in return! Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Linens & Things

I love finding tablecloths, runners, napkins, and other linens when I am out thrifting. Whether it be at consignment shops, GW, or yard sales, I will usually snap up a pretty linen if it doesn't have a lot of stains.  I will show you some of my favorites. I found several pieces embroideried with this design at a favorite consignment shop. This blue runner (reversible to stripes), found on consignment. This is one of the nicer quality tablecloths I have found, $4.00 at a thrift store. This cloth was around $10.00 on consignment. This runner is also reversible to polka dots, and was a consignment find. This pink and white gingham is perfect in the sun room, and is a consignment find also. This is the most valuable table cloth I have found, and it was $2.00 at a nearby yard sale.  It is a vintage Wielunder.  They sell on ebay for 30 - 90 dollars.  Mine is in pristine condition! Christmas tablecloth, consignment sale.   Consignmen

Trash to Treasure

We had noticed this "jar" sitting near a trash pile, and my husband decided to see what it was.  It was full of dirt, and covered in grime.  After soaking it a while, it looked much better. The shape and color is very nice. At first I thought it might be a globe for a lamp or some type of candle holder. The bottom has an opening, and no markings. Do you know what it might be? This is how I'm using it. It's made of thick bubbled glass. Any guesses?? Know what this was in its former life?   It makes a wonderful vase for faux flowers! It's a vintage fly /wasp trap!!   Once yucky, now pretty!!! Joining: Wow Us Wednesday Home and Garden Thursday Share Your Cup Thursday Thursday Favorite Things   Feathered Nest Friday Be Inspired Frugal Friday @  Shabby Nest Home Sweet Home @  The Charm of Home Thrifty Things Friday @   The Thrifty Groove Junk Party @ Funky Junk Interiors

What's in the Hutch?

Yesterday I awoke in the mood to do some "deep" cleaning.  First on my list was to dust inside the china cabinet in the dining room.  Can you believe how much dust can get into a closed cabinet.  Really, how does that happen?  My cabinet has glass shelves and they were hazy with dust.  This is a rather tedious job because I not only have china inside, I have all kinds of little "pretties" stored there too.  It's one of the first things you see upon entry into our home, so I really should do this more often.  I want show you the before, sufficeth to say, it had been a while since I had tackled this chore.  Here are some photos showing the "after". Here is a collection of vases and crystal pitchers .   These were all gifts except the smallest one in the front and the one to the right of it. China and a consignment shop cake plate.  The china was formerly my MILs. More china . This little fairy lives here with her 2 sisters. They can all be seen