Skip to main content

Cottage Look for Guest Room

Ever since we did the furniture shuffle a couple months ago when we put the king sized bed in the master, I haven't been happy with the furniture arrangement in the guest room.  I am happy to be able to have matching furniture for that room, but the dresser was covering one of the windows.
The room has some quirky angles which makes arrangement difficult, but I just couldn't stand the window being covered.




I wanted to place the head of the bed between the two windows on that wall.

BEFORE

Yesterday morning I went to Lowe's and purchased new curtain panels at $14.97 each, to replace the white panels I had up.

Here is a photo showing the new panels.
These panels capture the taupe of the walls and the turquoise of the bedding.

AFTER

This shows the bed placed between the two windows.  


The bed now faces the doorway (left).  I think this is better.


After I finished rearranging everything and hanging the new panels, I decided to redo a vintage table I have and add it in the mix.

While at Lowe's I picked up some Valspar Paint Samples on clearance for $2.68 each.  I decided I would just paint the top of the table with this, Valspar Sea Mist.  I put one light coat on the top of the table, then while the paint was still wet, I used a sponge 'brush' to dry brush the tabletop.  Once this dried, I sanded it to give it some character.  Here is the finished product.

I am so pleased with how it turned out.


Here you can see how using the dry brush to remove excess paint made it look.

I shopped the house for items for the vignette.
The picture was a gift to me.  It shows a little boy in a farm wagon pulled by a horse/mule. 

The 'nest' is packing material from a gift box we received in the mail, and the bird is from a consignment shop a long time ago.  I made the plate pedestal, and the rabbit is a computer print off tied on the candle with string.


I am so pleased with the look it brings to the guest room.  To me, it seems more relaxed and welcoming.



Here you can see the french door leading to the screened porch.  This window was completely covered with the previous arrangement.
I think I should get a matching panel for the door.



I played around with the vignette on the dresser as well.



I added a bolster pillow from the bed to the chair.
This vintage lamp belonged to my MIL.


The bolster fabric repeats the lattice look of the chair upholstery.

What do you think, does the table make the room more welcoming?



Please visit these parties where I will be sharing this makeover.

Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage

Be Inspired Friday @ Common Ground 

Serenity Saturday @ Serenity You
Show and Tell Saturday @ Be Different, Act Normal 
Bouquet of Talent @ Life on Lakeshore Drive
Share It One More Time @ One More Time Events
Sunny Simple Sunday @ Sunny Simple Life
It's Party Time @ Three Mango Seeds






Comments

  1. What a beautiful job you did and I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who gives furniture "character"!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, those new panels are gorgeous and I love the comforter. Great job!

    Also wanted to drop you a quick note....there is a "liebster award" that is supposed to help fellow bloggers get their word out...and maybe find more link buddies and I have nominated you for it. :-) If you'd like to participate please drop by...

    http://cgtablescapes.blogspot.com/2013/03/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your changes and love the touch of turquoise. Have a great weekend and Happy St.Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new arrangement. Perfect! That little antique table and vignette are both so sweet. Your guest room looks amazing!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the changes you've made.......and the painted table is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! You have a great touch for this! Following via GFC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this room is so lovely,I'm sure any guest would love it too. The little table sets it off a treat. Yes I think matching curtains for the French window would just complete it. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gee Kathy, when you get going, you really get things done. The new arrangement is so much better. I wouldn't be able to stand having a window covered either. That new table color is so soothing and I love the little wood tray on the dresser. It's all so comfy and inviting!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. How pretty Kathy - such a serene room. As you know, I am starting to redo our guest room also, and if I am lucky it will turn out as welcoming as yours! Pretty window treatments, you really got a bargain at Lowes. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathy, you did a fabulous job! Everything looks so beautiful. I love the new table color. That color is so pretty. Just pinned it. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent! So thrilled you shared with us! I just love your blog. Happy Friday!! YAY!! :)
    hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and feedback. Be sure to leave a comment so I know you visited, and I will visit you and leave you a comment in return! Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Linens & Things

I love finding tablecloths, runners, napkins, and other linens when I am out thrifting. Whether it be at consignment shops, GW, or yard sales, I will usually snap up a pretty linen if it doesn't have a lot of stains.  I will show you some of my favorites. I found several pieces embroideried with this design at a favorite consignment shop. This blue runner (reversible to stripes), found on consignment. This is one of the nicer quality tablecloths I have found, $4.00 at a thrift store. This cloth was around $10.00 on consignment. This runner is also reversible to polka dots, and was a consignment find. This pink and white gingham is perfect in the sun room, and is a consignment find also. This is the most valuable table cloth I have found, and it was $2.00 at a nearby yard sale.  It is a vintage Wielunder.  They sell on ebay for 30 - 90 dollars.  Mine is in pristine condition! Christmas tablecloth, consignment sale.   Consignmen

Trash to Treasure

We had noticed this "jar" sitting near a trash pile, and my husband decided to see what it was.  It was full of dirt, and covered in grime.  After soaking it a while, it looked much better. The shape and color is very nice. At first I thought it might be a globe for a lamp or some type of candle holder. The bottom has an opening, and no markings. Do you know what it might be? This is how I'm using it. It's made of thick bubbled glass. Any guesses?? Know what this was in its former life?   It makes a wonderful vase for faux flowers! It's a vintage fly /wasp trap!!   Once yucky, now pretty!!! Joining: Wow Us Wednesday Home and Garden Thursday Share Your Cup Thursday Thursday Favorite Things   Feathered Nest Friday Be Inspired Frugal Friday @  Shabby Nest Home Sweet Home @  The Charm of Home Thrifty Things Friday @   The Thrifty Groove Junk Party @ Funky Junk Interiors

What's in the Hutch?

Yesterday I awoke in the mood to do some "deep" cleaning.  First on my list was to dust inside the china cabinet in the dining room.  Can you believe how much dust can get into a closed cabinet.  Really, how does that happen?  My cabinet has glass shelves and they were hazy with dust.  This is a rather tedious job because I not only have china inside, I have all kinds of little "pretties" stored there too.  It's one of the first things you see upon entry into our home, so I really should do this more often.  I want show you the before, sufficeth to say, it had been a while since I had tackled this chore.  Here are some photos showing the "after". Here is a collection of vases and crystal pitchers .   These were all gifts except the smallest one in the front and the one to the right of it. China and a consignment shop cake plate.  The china was formerly my MILs. More china . This little fairy lives here with her 2 sisters. They can all be seen