Skip to main content

Time to Bring in the Plants

WARNING: LONG POST

The weather channel is predicting very cold weather, maybe snow in the most northern counties of Georgia, due to Hurricane Sandy.  This is being called the storm of the century because it will join with a winter storm.   I brought the plants in from the screened porch today and placed all of them except one plant in the sun room.  The philodendron is so big it won't fit in the sun room, so I have it between the dining room and the front entry.


See how big this bad boy is!  It grew from a bulb I dug from a plant like it at work several years ago.  The leaves on my plant are twice as large as those on the plant at work, and much stronger.  I have really enjoyed this one.


These are not very big, so they're not a problem to place at all.  I put them in the sun room so they will get lots of light.


A friend at work brought me a tiny cutting of this plant too, and it has done extremely well.





I should re-pot these plants.  Maybe I'll do that in a few days.  They were given to me by my previous boss when I retired.


We'll see how this plant does.  

Have you brought your plants inside for the winter?

ON ANOTHER NOTE.....

On the way home yesterday, we stopped at Hobby Lobby for me to pick up some disks to place on the back of plates to hang them from.

There was an antique store nearby, so I ran in for a few minutes.  I bought this plate for $3.00.


It isn't an antique, but I knew it would go pretty well with a plate I already had.  I have been wanting to hang something around the mirror behind hubby's chair, and had decided on plates.

Here is the plate I already had, bought at a consignment shop a long time ago.


Here they are hanging beside the mirror.


I like them with the mirror.

Oops, you can see my reflection in the mirror in this picture.



This grouping hangs on the wall to the right of the door from the breakfast nook, while the mirror and plates hang on the left of the door.

While in the antique store, I picked up this ribbon.  It was only $1.89.  I wish I had bought more.


I added pieces of the ribbon to various items in the living/breakfast area.

(Around the top of the lantern)

(on the plate stacker)


(around the top of the lamp in the sun room)




Here's my little "halloween jack-o-lantern".  That's as spooky as it gets here.  :)

Thanks so much for your visit.  I'd love if you left a comment, so I'll know you visited.  Have a fabulous week!
Joining in the fun at:

Comments

  1. Everything is beautiful in your post today! Love your plants and the poor babies need to come inside for the cold!I totally love those pretty plates for 3 BUCKS..what a deal!! They look great on each side of your lovely mirror too. The bows add a little fall touch to your pretty vignettes. Have a happy week sweet lady.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some green thumb...your plants are beautiful!!! And love the plates you put up, they are very pretty. And look at you with that pretty ribbon, just the right touch!!! And you know how I am lusting after that aqua lantern, you show it just to make me crazy!!!

    We are getting ready for Frankenstorm around here, secured everything outside and have supplies stocked up. I know we will lose power.....and there is 3 inches of snow in Virginia now!!! stay safe....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You literally brought the outdoors in. I guess that's one way to do it...ha! It's amazing that you found a compliment to the other plate you had. I think they make a great grouping with the mirror and I always love seeing someone get their reflection in there when they take a picture. It makes it more personal. We should all stick ourselves in our blogs on purpose now and again. It's nice to know there really is a person behind the blog. :)
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful plants! I plan on updating a lamp this week, too...the bow on your shade is a gorgeous touch!!! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your philodendron is just gorgeous. I had one of those many years ago and they do take up a lot of room, but mine never got that big. So hard to believe you may get snow all the way down in Georgia. Makes me wonder what we'll end up getting up here in Ohio. So far just rain and wind and we still have our electricity.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kathy! I wish I had your green thumb, and a sun room! :) Both of your plates are beauties - love the colors.
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to have a green thumb like yours! I, too, brought the plants in, but I've put them back out now. We did have our first frost, but it shouldn't be cold again this week.
    Blessings from Texas,
    Ava

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking up to It's a Party this week! I especially adore that ribbon and the way you've used it. So pretty. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and feedback. Be sure to leave a comment so I know you visited, and I will visit you and leave you a comment in return! Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Linens & Things

I love finding tablecloths, runners, napkins, and other linens when I am out thrifting. Whether it be at consignment shops, GW, or yard sales, I will usually snap up a pretty linen if it doesn't have a lot of stains.  I will show you some of my favorites. I found several pieces embroideried with this design at a favorite consignment shop. This blue runner (reversible to stripes), found on consignment. This is one of the nicer quality tablecloths I have found, $4.00 at a thrift store. This cloth was around $10.00 on consignment. This runner is also reversible to polka dots, and was a consignment find. This pink and white gingham is perfect in the sun room, and is a consignment find also. This is the most valuable table cloth I have found, and it was $2.00 at a nearby yard sale.  It is a vintage Wielunder.  They sell on ebay for 30 - 90 dollars.  Mine is in pristine condition! Christmas tablecloth, consignment sale.   Consignmen

Trash to Treasure

We had noticed this "jar" sitting near a trash pile, and my husband decided to see what it was.  It was full of dirt, and covered in grime.  After soaking it a while, it looked much better. The shape and color is very nice. At first I thought it might be a globe for a lamp or some type of candle holder. The bottom has an opening, and no markings. Do you know what it might be? This is how I'm using it. It's made of thick bubbled glass. Any guesses?? Know what this was in its former life?   It makes a wonderful vase for faux flowers! It's a vintage fly /wasp trap!!   Once yucky, now pretty!!! Joining: Wow Us Wednesday Home and Garden Thursday Share Your Cup Thursday Thursday Favorite Things   Feathered Nest Friday Be Inspired Frugal Friday @  Shabby Nest Home Sweet Home @  The Charm of Home Thrifty Things Friday @   The Thrifty Groove Junk Party @ Funky Junk Interiors

What's in the Hutch?

Yesterday I awoke in the mood to do some "deep" cleaning.  First on my list was to dust inside the china cabinet in the dining room.  Can you believe how much dust can get into a closed cabinet.  Really, how does that happen?  My cabinet has glass shelves and they were hazy with dust.  This is a rather tedious job because I not only have china inside, I have all kinds of little "pretties" stored there too.  It's one of the first things you see upon entry into our home, so I really should do this more often.  I want show you the before, sufficeth to say, it had been a while since I had tackled this chore.  Here are some photos showing the "after". Here is a collection of vases and crystal pitchers .   These were all gifts except the smallest one in the front and the one to the right of it. China and a consignment shop cake plate.  The china was formerly my MILs. More china . This little fairy lives here with her 2 sisters. They can all be seen