Skip to main content

The Silent Actress, the Major and Grandmama Cherry

Today my post is taking a different direction.  I normally show you my latest projects or something I have changed in my home.  But today, I am showing some very old papers I came across some time ago and placed them in an extra scrap book I had, stuck it in the cabinet, and promptly forgot all about it.  


The other night my grandson brought some momentos he kept from his trip to France this month, for the scrap book I have kept for him his entire life.  I opened the cabinet to remove some scrapbooking supplies and again saw the "extra" scrapbook.  I removed it to see what I had put in there, and re-discovered these old papers.  These were tucked away in a metal box of "important" papers that my MIL had.  


They are from the thirties, forties, and fifties.  This is a rather long post, and plenty of pictures, so enjoy.


First up:
Norma Talmadge
Actress during the silent era
Born in 1895

Her photo is on one side, and the back seems to be an advertisement for a metal corrugation company.



This is an old post card.  I have no idea who the folks in the photo are.




My husband's Uncle (TD Joiner) was a Major in the Military.  In fact we have his Army trunk.  (I'll show you some day).
This freight bill shows where his sister, Cherry Joiner Moreland Aldridge (Hubby's grandmother) sent him a 14 pound basket of peaches to his location in Washington DC
 on July 19, 1939.


Next:  Evidently, Miss Cherry had an illness of some sort and received this get well card.  Don't you love these graphics?


The inside shows where several people signed the get well card.

The gift certificate below was in this envelope postmarked 1947.  It is advertising giving Reader's Digest as a gift.  I think they still do something similar.  I suppose good marketing ideas, stand the test of time.  :)



This appears to be a program for a church service.  



I've never heard of any of these hymns, and I served as pianist at church from the time I was 11 years old, into my forties.  

This is VERY interesting.  It is a premium due notice from an insurance company for auto accident insurance.  The annual premium was $3.00!!!  It was due in December 1947.  Unbelievable!!




I guess they didn't place so much emphasis or value on the loss of life back then.  It only paid $1,000.00.  
Thanksgiving card from 1947, from an automobile dealership.  


The envelope showing the pilgrim is so cute.

Let's not forget this:
Embroidery transfer doesn't look like it's been used; it is not dated. This is the envelope.  The clothing on the envelope makes me think it may have been new in the 60's.
Back of envelope (Priced $.49)  I think Harper's may have been a "Dime Store".

It includes several different transfers on one sheet.




Diagram on back of envelope shows how to make certain embroidery knots.

I'm sorry to have been so long, but I wanted you to see these items.  I'm taking great care of them, and might even try my hand at embroidering some of these designs onto pillowcases or something. (Ha!) Just don't hold your breath until I do.  :)

I'm joining Debra's Vintage Inspiration Party at Common Ground
Show and Tell at My Romantic Home
Feathered Nest at French Country Cottage

Comments

  1. I think it's always fun to go through family documents. It gives us a great sense of just how things were in those days. It's wonderful that you have them to cherish.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not long at all, quite interesting and enjoyable to walk through history with these unique items!
    Love what you've done with the blog too by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my! You made my heart skip a beat! What treasures! I'll bookmark this and come back to it many times, I'm sure. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fascinating things! Long post? Not long enough ;o)
    Rose H
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the picture of Norma and the vintage sewing pattern. Great treasures! Thanks for sharing, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to have these things!!! Not a long post at all....and very interesting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post! I could spend all day going through things like that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just adore authentic vintage paper ephemera. It's glamour is sincere and cannot be duplicated.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and feedback. Be sure to leave a comment so I know you visited, and I will visit you and leave you a comment in return! Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Linens & Things

I love finding tablecloths, runners, napkins, and other linens when I am out thrifting. Whether it be at consignment shops, GW, or yard sales, I will usually snap up a pretty linen if it doesn't have a lot of stains.  I will show you some of my favorites. I found several pieces embroideried with this design at a favorite consignment shop. This blue runner (reversible to stripes), found on consignment. This is one of the nicer quality tablecloths I have found, $4.00 at a thrift store. This cloth was around $10.00 on consignment. This runner is also reversible to polka dots, and was a consignment find. This pink and white gingham is perfect in the sun room, and is a consignment find also. This is the most valuable table cloth I have found, and it was $2.00 at a nearby yard sale.  It is a vintage Wielunder.  They sell on ebay for 30 - 90 dollars.  Mine is in pristine condition! Christmas tablecloth, consignment sale.   Consignmen

Trash to Treasure

We had noticed this "jar" sitting near a trash pile, and my husband decided to see what it was.  It was full of dirt, and covered in grime.  After soaking it a while, it looked much better. The shape and color is very nice. At first I thought it might be a globe for a lamp or some type of candle holder. The bottom has an opening, and no markings. Do you know what it might be? This is how I'm using it. It's made of thick bubbled glass. Any guesses?? Know what this was in its former life?   It makes a wonderful vase for faux flowers! It's a vintage fly /wasp trap!!   Once yucky, now pretty!!! Joining: Wow Us Wednesday Home and Garden Thursday Share Your Cup Thursday Thursday Favorite Things   Feathered Nest Friday Be Inspired Frugal Friday @  Shabby Nest Home Sweet Home @  The Charm of Home Thrifty Things Friday @   The Thrifty Groove Junk Party @ Funky Junk Interiors

What's in the Hutch?

Yesterday I awoke in the mood to do some "deep" cleaning.  First on my list was to dust inside the china cabinet in the dining room.  Can you believe how much dust can get into a closed cabinet.  Really, how does that happen?  My cabinet has glass shelves and they were hazy with dust.  This is a rather tedious job because I not only have china inside, I have all kinds of little "pretties" stored there too.  It's one of the first things you see upon entry into our home, so I really should do this more often.  I want show you the before, sufficeth to say, it had been a while since I had tackled this chore.  Here are some photos showing the "after". Here is a collection of vases and crystal pitchers .   These were all gifts except the smallest one in the front and the one to the right of it. China and a consignment shop cake plate.  The china was formerly my MILs. More china . This little fairy lives here with her 2 sisters. They can all be seen