Skip to main content

Half-a-Hoosier


Hoosier or baker's cabinets have been around since the early 1900's.  My mother had one in her kitchen.  I remember the flour bin, the metal drawer and
the porcelain work surface trimmed with red.  The drawer pulls were also red.  At some point in time, the top of the Hoosier was removed.  I think my Dad may have traded it to the next door neighbor along with a wash-stand for a set of cabinets for the kitchen.  (If my memory is correct).

Anyway, I came to have the bottom of the Hoosier cabinet.  It has set in the basement of the two homes I have owned for 25 or 30 years.  I'm sorry to say it was in horrible condition.   I recently decided I would at least clean it up a bit and paint it.  So here is what it looked like before. 


What a mess!!!  I know, it was horrible.

The condition was so poor, and the wood so soft, I was afraid to do a lot of sanding.  However, I sanded it lightly before and after priming it.  Here is a shot of the work surface.  You can see the chips and stains.




Here it is with after a coat of primer has been put on. Looking a little better.


I was unable to get the handles to sand very well, but I spray painted them back to their original red.  (They had been painted white).

This little project was not without it's share of aggravation!  There was only 1 caster on it and it was rusted and the wheel was wood.  Wood....I couldn't believe it!  Of course it needed four new ones.  I bought the wrong casters for it, the wrong hinges for the doors, all the little nuisances.  Finally I got the right ones, and got them on, but only after sanding, priming, sanding again, priming again, and putting on 2 coats of paint...whew!!  Finally it looks a little better. 

Today we brought it up to the mud room and I am using it to store Tupperware, and plastic storage containers.  The bottom is not in good enough shape to store anything heavy, but placing all the plastic ware in it did free up a couple of shelves so I could rearrange my pots and pans.  I will eventually replace the bottom.  So far the only money I have spent is for the casters, hinges and a magnetic closure, so approximately $15.00.  I already had the primer and paint.

 Here is how it looks now.

This spot in the mud room is the exact length of the cabinet.  Perfect spot!


I kinda like the chipped porcelain.



I would really like to find the top half of a Hoosier for sale.  But for now, I'll enjoy my "half-a-Hoosier" and remember my Mom when I see it.

I will be sharing my makeover at the following parties:
Saturday Nite Special at Funky Junk Interiors
Sunday Round Up at Kayla's Creations
Table Top Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life
Cozy Home Party at Cozy Home Scenes
Vintage Party at Knick of Time

  

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness, I was out today looking for an antique Hoosier! I found a beautiful one but the price was out of this world! I love your half a Hoosier, you did a wonderful makeover on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I so love your hoosier and such sweet memories that go with it. I think it is fabulous and your redid it so perfectly. I am glad you found a way to use it again. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Perfect. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this looks so sweet...what a nice job you did!!! And perfect in that spot too!! I also like the chipped top and red handles....oh, and the shape of the bottom is so charming!!! I take it you are enjoying your retirement and are not lacking for things to do!!! hugs...cleo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, like I always say, a hoosier in hand is better than two in the bush :) Great job, have a wonderful holiday weekend!

    Tanya :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the contrast of the white vs. red. I will admit, I had never heard of a hoosier (well, other than Indiana Basketball players) so this post was pretty educational! I hope you can find another half.. so I can see what a 'whole hoosier' looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! The red and white look so pretty together and I know you're going to have fun with this piece. Hope you can find a top to go with it!
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh a half of a hoosier and way better than no hoosier!...You did a great job...I would let those chips show...I think it adds to the history of the piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it was worth saving and looks fabulous. I hope you find the other half and with the internet surely you will.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish someone would leave me one of those! Love it!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Now that's a transformation! I'd love to have an old hoosier cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving the suggestions of blogs to see for ideas on how to use my old door. I appreciate it!! Happy Junking!!
    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely! ...and a perfect fit!!
    Greetings from Australia♥
    ~Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mother has the other half sitting in her basement!! We are going to be pulling it out and using it at my sisters wedding for the candy buffet. Hers belonged to her mother and somehow through the years the bottom just vanished.

    You did a fabulous job on the re-do and it looks just lovely!! Thank You for sharing and have a great evening!

    Aledia @ Plum Perfect

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your half a Hoosier and especially the chippy top! You did a great job on a wonderful vintage piece.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your Hoosier cabinet, and you did a great job on it. What happy memories you must have of it being in your childhood home. I would love to have a table like my grnadma had with the porcelain top.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Hoosier turned out to be very nice looking and useful which is good. Thanks for sharing the process at Your Cozy Home Party.------
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks great! I love chippy.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love your hoosier, the red pulls just set it off! I joined your google friend and I will be back to visit your blog often! Penny

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a perfect transformation! Love it! It would make a great cutting table for a quilter / sewer as is too. Best of luck in finding a top to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG... the revamp outcome turned out amazingly beautiful Old hoosier are so charming. Thanks God, you kept the original handles. For me, that make the more shabby and vintagy look.

    Grea job done.
    Hoosier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, pressed too quickly...

      /CC

      Delete
    2. I had to respond as I'm currently working on a project matching the TOP of a Hoosier to a bottom (not Original). Amazingly, I found it in my neighbor's trash!!! I figure I can always replace the bottom at a different date when I find one (hint,hint.) Mine was originally ivory and judging from the hardware may be a bit older. You should look for some wooden casters; I've found them at the reuse store.
      You also helped me solve the mystery of a porcelain top that I have...exactly like yours and the same size. It came with my house on an old farm table to which it didn't really fit.Ttake that cover off and show all its beauty.
      You did a really great job and it oozes charm.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and feedback. Be sure to leave a comment so I know you visited, and I will visit you and leave you a comment in return! Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Linens & Things

I love finding tablecloths, runners, napkins, and other linens when I am out thrifting. Whether it be at consignment shops, GW, or yard sales, I will usually snap up a pretty linen if it doesn't have a lot of stains.  I will show you some of my favorites. I found several pieces embroideried with this design at a favorite consignment shop. This blue runner (reversible to stripes), found on consignment. This is one of the nicer quality tablecloths I have found, $4.00 at a thrift store. This cloth was around $10.00 on consignment. This runner is also reversible to polka dots, and was a consignment find. This pink and white gingham is perfect in the sun room, and is a consignment find also. This is the most valuable table cloth I have found, and it was $2.00 at a nearby yard sale.  It is a vintage Wielunder.  They sell on ebay for 30 - 90 dollars.  Mine is in pristine condition! Christmas tablecloth, consignment sale.   Consignmen

Trash to Treasure

We had noticed this "jar" sitting near a trash pile, and my husband decided to see what it was.  It was full of dirt, and covered in grime.  After soaking it a while, it looked much better. The shape and color is very nice. At first I thought it might be a globe for a lamp or some type of candle holder. The bottom has an opening, and no markings. Do you know what it might be? This is how I'm using it. It's made of thick bubbled glass. Any guesses?? Know what this was in its former life?   It makes a wonderful vase for faux flowers! It's a vintage fly /wasp trap!!   Once yucky, now pretty!!! Joining: Wow Us Wednesday Home and Garden Thursday Share Your Cup Thursday Thursday Favorite Things   Feathered Nest Friday Be Inspired Frugal Friday @  Shabby Nest Home Sweet Home @  The Charm of Home Thrifty Things Friday @   The Thrifty Groove Junk Party @ Funky Junk Interiors

What's in the Hutch?

Yesterday I awoke in the mood to do some "deep" cleaning.  First on my list was to dust inside the china cabinet in the dining room.  Can you believe how much dust can get into a closed cabinet.  Really, how does that happen?  My cabinet has glass shelves and they were hazy with dust.  This is a rather tedious job because I not only have china inside, I have all kinds of little "pretties" stored there too.  It's one of the first things you see upon entry into our home, so I really should do this more often.  I want show you the before, sufficeth to say, it had been a while since I had tackled this chore.  Here are some photos showing the "after". Here is a collection of vases and crystal pitchers .   These were all gifts except the smallest one in the front and the one to the right of it. China and a consignment shop cake plate.  The china was formerly my MILs. More china . This little fairy lives here with her 2 sisters. They can all be seen