Skip to main content

Southern Magnolias

A few posts back I showed you the magnolia print that a co-worker gave me when I retired.  It's a beautiful print, understated, but so elegant.  Today, I decided I would see if I had a frame big enough for the print, so I shopped the basement and found one.  It was a narrow brass colored frame with a matted print in it.  I took everything out of the frame, and painted over the brass color with white interior paint that was left over from an earlier project.  It dried quickly, so I took a small acrylic paint brush, dipped it in pink paint, and painted one of the grooves in the frame. Once that dried, I sanded it in spots, and this is the final look.  I wanted it to look like a really old frame that had gotten painted more than once, and was chippy.  I think it turned out pretty good.  My goal is to find an ornate shabby frame for the print, but I was ready to have this print out so I could enjoy it.

Here is how the frame turned out.


 I flipped the mat over to the white side, and used it to frame the print.  I will also look for a mat with a wider opening, but for now, I'm really enjoying the print.

I have the print standing on a pewter colored easel in my bedroom.  I may paint the easel white, and distress it too.  Haven't decided for sure yet!

Doesn't it look elegant?


The easel was a gift to my husband from his son.

Isn't this a pretty design?


This is what the opposite corner looks like in the master bedroom.
I think I gave $10 for this chair.  It was purchased several years ago from a consignment shop. 




This is the top of the dresser with the drop cloth runner.

Hope you like my gifted.  A pretty addition to my bedroom, at absolutely no cost!  Ahhhhh.......love it when I can do this!

I am linking this project to these parties:

Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Home Sweet Home Friday at The Charm of Home
Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk Interiors
Inspiration Friday At The Picket Fence

Comments

  1. Your magnolia print is o pretty and you've framed it beautifully! Love the easel too!
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makeover on the frame is just perfect!!! And the print is so beautiful in it....nice easel too....enjoy!!! hugs...cleo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your print and frame are very pretty. I think magnolias are beautiful trees. We have several varieties in our yard but my favorite is the good ole Southern Magnolia. The easel gives the framed print a look of elegance. Have a very nice weekend!------- Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your magnolia print if gorgeous! I love that wonderful easel --- what an elegant touch for your boudoir.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magnolias are so lovely. What a treasure you have in the print and frame. The easel is a perfect way to display it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and feedback. Be sure to leave a comment so I know you visited, and I will visit you and leave you a comment in return! Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Linens & Things

I love finding tablecloths, runners, napkins, and other linens when I am out thrifting. Whether it be at consignment shops, GW, or yard sales, I will usually snap up a pretty linen if it doesn't have a lot of stains.  I will show you some of my favorites. I found several pieces embroideried with this design at a favorite consignment shop. This blue runner (reversible to stripes), found on consignment. This is one of the nicer quality tablecloths I have found, $4.00 at a thrift store. This cloth was around $10.00 on consignment. This runner is also reversible to polka dots, and was a consignment find. This pink and white gingham is perfect in the sun room, and is a consignment find also. This is the most valuable table cloth I have found, and it was $2.00 at a nearby yard sale.  It is a vintage Wielunder.  They sell on ebay for 30 - 90 dollars.  Mine is in pristine condition! Christmas tablecloth, consignment sale.   Consignmen

Trash to Treasure

We had noticed this "jar" sitting near a trash pile, and my husband decided to see what it was.  It was full of dirt, and covered in grime.  After soaking it a while, it looked much better. The shape and color is very nice. At first I thought it might be a globe for a lamp or some type of candle holder. The bottom has an opening, and no markings. Do you know what it might be? This is how I'm using it. It's made of thick bubbled glass. Any guesses?? Know what this was in its former life?   It makes a wonderful vase for faux flowers! It's a vintage fly /wasp trap!!   Once yucky, now pretty!!! Joining: Wow Us Wednesday Home and Garden Thursday Share Your Cup Thursday Thursday Favorite Things   Feathered Nest Friday Be Inspired Frugal Friday @  Shabby Nest Home Sweet Home @  The Charm of Home Thrifty Things Friday @   The Thrifty Groove Junk Party @ Funky Junk Interiors

What's in the Hutch?

Yesterday I awoke in the mood to do some "deep" cleaning.  First on my list was to dust inside the china cabinet in the dining room.  Can you believe how much dust can get into a closed cabinet.  Really, how does that happen?  My cabinet has glass shelves and they were hazy with dust.  This is a rather tedious job because I not only have china inside, I have all kinds of little "pretties" stored there too.  It's one of the first things you see upon entry into our home, so I really should do this more often.  I want show you the before, sufficeth to say, it had been a while since I had tackled this chore.  Here are some photos showing the "after". Here is a collection of vases and crystal pitchers .   These were all gifts except the smallest one in the front and the one to the right of it. China and a consignment shop cake plate.  The china was formerly my MILs. More china . This little fairy lives here with her 2 sisters. They can all be seen