Skip to main content

Seminole Home

I frequently mention our second home on Lake Seminole.  Part of this  property that has been in my husband's family for many years.  His parents lived there.  My husband also bought adjoining property in order for his parents to have more of a buffer between them and neighbors. 

When his mother was about 93, she asked to come live with us in North GA.  She obviously had started having some problems being alone, although she never told us what precipitated her request to move.  She had lived there for a very long time alone and had always said that she would die there.

She wanted to live "near" us, not with us.  She valued her independence so much.  We bought her a small double-wide mobile home and placed it on property near us.  She only lived there about a year or a little longer until she passed away.

The little home was still in excellent condition.  It sat here empty for the last three years.  My husband decided he would have the home moved to Lake Seminole so we could use it there.  The weather is much warmer down there and it is a great place to go to get AWAY.  The closest town is 17 miles away.  Finally we got it moved and set up down there, had 2 large screened porches built on, and underpinned it with brick.  We're really happy with how it turned out. 

New decorating project for me!!!  We have tons of furniture and accessories from combining five homes when we married in 2005, so I am using what we have for now. 

Here are a few photos of some of the rooms there.  We've just been through with the move for about 3 weeks, so there will be MORE tweaking I am sure. 

 A shot of the kitchen
 Sofa my husband had.  Picture above sofa was a $3.00 yard-sale find.
 Little desk area.  I'm looking for a chair for this area.
Cabinet above now holds a Princess glass punch bowl set and lots of "old" dishes owned by my MIL.
 This chair was given to my husband by my daughter.  A perfect match to the suite he already had. 
 Looking into the kitchen from the living room.
 A hutch belonging to my husband.  Most of the objects here belonged to my MIL.  Those are her cookbooks.
 This is a close-up of the hutch.  A second punch bowl which was still in the box it came in.  Belonged to MIL.  I bought the yellow tray for $1.50 at a thrift shop in the little town nearby.  The wire chicken on top was also from the thrift shop there.
 Another shot of the hutch with a little Christmas decor.  I found the decor, including the ball ornaments packed in a box by my MIL as well.
 One of the guest rooms.  These twin beds were used by my husband and his brother growing up.

 Another guest room.

 Antique dresser and chest.
Hope you enjoyed this tour of our little getaway.  I'll take pictures of the outside and the master suite and share those later.

I'm linking to Marty's "Anything Goes" party at http://astrollthrulife.blogspot.com/

Be sure to come by and see what everyone is sharing!



Comments

  1. Sounds like your MIL wanted to be independant as long as possible. That looks like a nice place and it will be exciting to see what you do with it.
    Thanks for popping in to see me and I hope you had a Merry Christmas.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to have a vacation home getaway! I am sure this will be a fun decorating project for you. I cannot wait to see more outdoor photos and see what direction you go with this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to use your MIL's little cottage. I know you'll have fun with your decorating projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Hi there... I sure did enjoy my visit with your home away from home! What a joy to have something fun to decorate AND somewhere to use all of your extra furniture!

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving your sweet comment! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like there are some great possibilities here!
    Happy New Year!

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun to have a second place to get away. Cute house. I know you are really enjoying your new project. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and feedback. Be sure to leave a comment so I know you visited, and I will visit you and leave you a comment in return! Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Linens & Things

I love finding tablecloths, runners, napkins, and other linens when I am out thrifting. Whether it be at consignment shops, GW, or yard sales, I will usually snap up a pretty linen if it doesn't have a lot of stains.  I will show you some of my favorites. I found several pieces embroideried with this design at a favorite consignment shop. This blue runner (reversible to stripes), found on consignment. This is one of the nicer quality tablecloths I have found, $4.00 at a thrift store. This cloth was around $10.00 on consignment. This runner is also reversible to polka dots, and was a consignment find. This pink and white gingham is perfect in the sun room, and is a consignment find also. This is the most valuable table cloth I have found, and it was $2.00 at a nearby yard sale.  It is a vintage Wielunder.  They sell on ebay for 30 - 90 dollars.  Mine is in pristine condition! Christmas tablecloth, consignment sale.   Consignmen

Trash to Treasure

We had noticed this "jar" sitting near a trash pile, and my husband decided to see what it was.  It was full of dirt, and covered in grime.  After soaking it a while, it looked much better. The shape and color is very nice. At first I thought it might be a globe for a lamp or some type of candle holder. The bottom has an opening, and no markings. Do you know what it might be? This is how I'm using it. It's made of thick bubbled glass. Any guesses?? Know what this was in its former life?   It makes a wonderful vase for faux flowers! It's a vintage fly /wasp trap!!   Once yucky, now pretty!!! Joining: Wow Us Wednesday Home and Garden Thursday Share Your Cup Thursday Thursday Favorite Things   Feathered Nest Friday Be Inspired Frugal Friday @  Shabby Nest Home Sweet Home @  The Charm of Home Thrifty Things Friday @   The Thrifty Groove Junk Party @ Funky Junk Interiors

What's in the Hutch?

Yesterday I awoke in the mood to do some "deep" cleaning.  First on my list was to dust inside the china cabinet in the dining room.  Can you believe how much dust can get into a closed cabinet.  Really, how does that happen?  My cabinet has glass shelves and they were hazy with dust.  This is a rather tedious job because I not only have china inside, I have all kinds of little "pretties" stored there too.  It's one of the first things you see upon entry into our home, so I really should do this more often.  I want show you the before, sufficeth to say, it had been a while since I had tackled this chore.  Here are some photos showing the "after". Here is a collection of vases and crystal pitchers .   These were all gifts except the smallest one in the front and the one to the right of it. China and a consignment shop cake plate.  The china was formerly my MILs. More china . This little fairy lives here with her 2 sisters. They can all be seen